Good books on linear algebra and real/complex analysis?

In summary, the conversation was about a person's interest in self-studying advanced mathematics, particularly in preparation for studying physics. They asked for recommendations on books for linear algebra, real/complex analysis, and topology, differential geometry, and tensor calculus. Various recommendations were given, including a free linear algebra book and notes, an introduction to complex variables, and a book on topology and modern analysis. The conversation also touched on the importance of developing intuition in math and suggestions were given for achieving this.
nerdytommy
Hey everyone! (new to the forum)

I am currently trying to self study more advanced mathematics. I have taken up to multivariable calculus and have taken a class for an introduction to mathematical proofs/logic (sets, relations, functions, cardinality). I want to get a head start on the abstract math that would help me get a deeper understanding of mathematical tools used in physics. Could anyone, maybe, give me some recommendations on a linear algebra, real/complex analysis book(s)? My hope is to eventually get an understanding of topology, differential geometry and tensor calculus. Next year I am going to take a two semester sequence in abstract algebra so I won't need any self learning of that (at least I hope not).

I hope that is enough information.

Thanks!
Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
here is a good free linear algebra book:

https://www.math.brown.edu/~treil/papers/LADW/book.pdfhere are my own linear algebra notes, NOWHERE NEAR as good as the previous link, but since i wrote them, i hope someday someone will read them and give me some feedback.

http://alpha.math.uga.edu/%7Eroy/laprimexp.pdf

my favorite complex intro is by Frederick P. Greenleaf, Intro to complex variables.

https://www.abebooks.com/book-searc...complex-variables/author/frederick-greenleaf/

It is harder to think of an excellent intro to reals, maybe something by George Simmons.

http://susanka.org/HSforQM/[Simmons]_Introduction_to_Topology_and_Modern_Analysis.pdfthese are chosen for their accessibility to the average student. if you are a super advanced student you may want more advabced stuff, which i am also glad to suggest. but these include ones i myself could learn from as a young student.

Last edited:
IMHO, it's relatively easy to get through a linear algebra course and end up with good computation skills but relatively weak intuition for what it all means.

A great supplement to mathwonk's recommendation is this short youtube series whose goal is to flesh out that intuition:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZHQObOWTQDPD3MizzM2xVFitgF8hE_ab

I second ibkev's recommendation of 3Blue1Brown's YouTube series.

If you want a physical book to learn the basics of linear algebra from, the best bang for the buck I've found so far is used copies of David Lay's Linear Algebra and Its Applications, 3rd Updated Edition. If you're in the USA, they're easy to find for very cheap on Amazon.

I learned complex analysis in a very circuitous way over several years through many books, so I don't have a good recommendation there. I think it would be easy enough to present the basics of what physicists learn of complex analysis in undergrad but pitched towards undergraduate mathematicians at a similar level to a class on vector calculus, but I don't personally know of such a text.

Once you have the basics of complex analysis, though, Tristan Needham's book Visual Complex Analysis is perfect for building visual and geometric intuition with the subject. I recommend it in a similar way to the abovementioned video series by 3Blue1Brown. 3Blue1Brown has some nice videos on complex numbers, too, but they don't go into the same depth as Needham's book. I recommend you watch them, but they aren't very comprehensive on this topic.

I really enjoyed Serge Lang: Introduction to Linear Algebra. Really great and concise book. It lacks problems, so maybe supplement it with Anton or another run of the mill book.

serge langs book on complex analyusis is really good too but not so easy.

1. What are some good beginner books for learning linear algebra and real/complex analysis?

Some good beginner books for learning linear algebra and real/complex analysis are "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang and "Real and Complex Analysis" by Walter Rudin.

2. Are there any online resources or videos that can supplement my learning of linear algebra and real/complex analysis?

Yes, there are many online resources and videos available for learning linear algebra and real/complex analysis. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and 3Blue1Brown's "Essence of Linear Algebra" video series.

3. Are there any advanced or specialized books on linear algebra and real/complex analysis?

Yes, there are many advanced and specialized books on linear algebra and real/complex analysis, depending on your specific interests. Some examples include "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler and "Introduction to Real Analysis" by Bartle and Sherbert.

4. What are some good exercises or practice problems for reinforcing my understanding of linear algebra and real/complex analysis?

Some good exercises and practice problems can be found in the aforementioned beginner books, as well as in online resources and textbooks such as "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David Lay and "Complex Analysis" by Lars Ahlfors.

5. Can you recommend any books that combine both linear algebra and real/complex analysis in one text?

Yes, there are several books that cover both linear algebra and real/complex analysis in one text, such as "Linear Algebra and Complex Analysis" by John H. Mathews and "Linear Algebra and Analysis" by Marc Nerlove and Arthur P. Hurter.