Good Books on Physics: Suggestions for High School Students

In summary, a high school student is seeking book recommendations on physics and mentions previously enjoying "Quantum Enigma" by Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner. One suggestion is "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" for those familiar with calculus, while "The Flying Circus of Physics" by Jearl Walker is recommended for beginners. Another individual suggests starting with more rigorous texts, such as "Halliday and Resnick" and incorporating calculus.
RobbyClimie
Good Morning/Afternoon all,

I'm a high school student in search of some good books on physics. Previously I have read "Quantum Enigma" by Bruce Rosenblum and Fred Kuttner, it really sparked my interest in physics and I can't get enough. I hope some of you have good suggestions.

Sincerly,
Robby

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know calculus, I recommend The Feynman Lectures on Physics. Otherwise I'd check out his more pop sci books.

"The Flying Circus of Physics", by Jearl Walker.
There is an older version with answers on the back, so that you will not be tempted to read them before trying to think for yourself.

It can be a bit 'advanced' in some parts but it will turn a spark of love for physics into a vivid flame.

Last edited:
Why waste your time on pop-sci books? Why not get your feet wet and do some actually rigorous physics texts? It's way more satisfying. You can start with some things like Halliday and Resnick (be sure to do some calculus in the mean while).

Hello Robby,

It's great to hear that you are interested in physics and have already read a book that sparked your interest. There are so many great books on physics that it can be overwhelming to choose just a few to recommend. However, here are some suggestions that I think would be beneficial for high school students:

1. "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking - This book is a classic and a must-read for anyone interested in physics. It covers a wide range of topics from the big bang to black holes in an easy-to-understand manner.

2. "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene - This book discusses the theory of relativity, quantum mechanics, and string theory in a captivating and engaging way. It also includes illustrations and diagrams to help visualize complex concepts.

3. "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" by Richard Feynman - This book is a collection of anecdotes from the life of Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman. It provides a unique perspective on the world of physics and the mind of a brilliant scientist.

4. "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene - Another book by Brian Greene, this one dives into the mysteries of space and time, exploring topics such as the nature of the universe, the multiverse theory, and the search for a theory of everything.

5. "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman - This book is a collection of lectures given by Feynman to undergraduate students at Caltech. It covers the basics of physics, including atoms, energy, and quantum mechanics, in an accessible and entertaining way.

I hope these suggestions help and that you continue to explore the fascinating world of physics. Happy reading!

1. What are some good books on physics for high school students?

Some good books on physics for high school students include "Conceptual Physics" by Paul G. Hewitt, "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday and Robert Resnick, and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman. These books offer a comprehensive and easy-to-understand introduction to different physics concepts.

2. Are there any books that make physics more interesting for high school students?

Yes, there are several books that aim to make physics more interesting and engaging for high school students. Some examples include "The Physics of Superheroes" by James Kakalios, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "Quantum: A Guide for the Perplexed" by Jim Al-Khalili. These books use real-life examples and storytelling to make physics concepts more relatable and enjoyable.

3. Are there any books on physics specifically designed for high school students?

Yes, there are many books on physics specifically designed for high school students. Some examples include "Understanding Physics" by Isaac Asimov, "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Larry Gonick and Art Huffman, and "Physics for Future Presidents" by Richard Muller. These books are written in a more approachable and student-friendly manner, making them suitable for high school students.

4. Are there any books on physics that are easy to understand for high school students?

Yes, there are several books on physics that are written in a clear and easy-to-understand manner for high school students. Some examples include "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman, "The Physics Book: From the Big Bang to Quantum Resurrection" by Clifford A. Pickover, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Giancoli. These books use simple language and illustrations to explain complex physics concepts.

5. Can you recommend any books on physics with practical applications for high school students?

Yes, there are many books on physics that discuss practical applications and real-world examples for high school students. Some examples include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach" by Randall D. Knight, "The Physics of Everyday Phenomena" by W. Thomas Griffith and Juliet Brosing, and "The Flying Circus of Physics" by Jearl Walker. These books show how physics principles can be applied in everyday situations, making them more relevant and interesting for high school students.