Good Calculus Based Physics Textbook

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a good introductory Calculus-based Physics textbook for self-study. The most commonly recommended book is "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker, although "University Physics" by Young and Freedman is also mentioned. The speakers have found both books to be useful and recommend them for self-study.
Todd13
I looked around for a bit on the forums to try and see if my question had been asked/answered already, but didn't see it. So, I decided to register and ask.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good introductory Calculus based Physics textbook for self study. I have one semester of Calculus completed and am in my second semester of Algebra based Physics. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker is the most commonly used intro physics with calculus book. I used it in my intro classes, and thought it was pretty good.

Halliday seems to be the most well-known book.

I'll look into that one. Thanks!

I don't know how "good" it is, but the one currently being used in my first semester calculus-based physics class is the Young and Freedman book entitled "University Physics."

Seems to be pretty decent so far. It has mostly good reviews on amazon.com for what it's worth.

I used an old edition of Halliday and Resnick for self-study. If you can pick up a used 1970's edition, that would be the best way to go.

Jack21222 said:
I don't know how "good" it is, but the one currently being used in my first semester calculus-based physics class is the Young and Freedman book entitled "University Physics."

Seems to be pretty decent so far. It has mostly good reviews on amazon.com for what it's worth.

That's what I have for some self-study... it's serving me well. I picked up the 11th ed (12's out now) for around $35.

I used University Physics by Young and Freedman during my general physics classes and highly recommend it. Excellent problem sets at the end of each chapter too. When I first used it though, I thought it was way too wordy, but now that I have matured in physics, I think that the book really explains the concepts well, and I attribute my good General Physics knowledge to that book.

1. What makes a calculus-based physics textbook "good"?

A good calculus-based physics textbook should have clear and concise explanations of concepts, a comprehensive coverage of topics, and a good balance between theory and application. It should also have a variety of practice problems with solutions provided and be written in a way that is easy to understand for students.

2. How can I determine if a calculus-based physics textbook is suitable for my level?

You can determine the suitability of a calculus-based physics textbook for your level by looking at its table of contents and reading reviews from other students or professors. Additionally, you can also ask your professor for recommendations based on your current knowledge and abilities.

3. Are there any recommended calculus-based physics textbooks for beginners?

Some recommended calculus-based physics textbooks for beginners include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker.

4. What are some key features to look for in a calculus-based physics textbook?

Key features to look for in a calculus-based physics textbook include a comprehensive index and glossary, a variety of practice problems and exercises, clear and concise explanations of concepts, and visual aids such as diagrams and illustrations to enhance understanding.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in calculus to understand a calculus-based physics textbook?

While a background in calculus can certainly be helpful, it is not always necessary to understand a calculus-based physics textbook. Many textbooks provide a review of necessary calculus concepts and equations, and some even have separate sections or chapters dedicated to reviewing calculus before delving into physics topics.