Good college for MS in Mechanical

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a master's degree in mechanical engineering from prestigious colleges like MIT and Caltech. They inquire about the best colleges and what factors are important for a successful application. The responder suggests that the area of research is the most crucial factor and the best program would depend on it. The speaker mentions their interest in low-cost product design and seeks guidance on what specialization would aid in developing new and innovative products, giving an example of their previous work.
1994Bhaskar
Hi everybody, i am currently studying Mechanical engineering and about to enter second year... i was thinking of doing my masters in mechanical from world renowned colleges like MIT, Caltech, etc. ... i want to know which among such colleges are the best ? And what should one have to do to stand a good chance in applying for these colleges?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no good answer to that. What area of research interests you? That's the most important factor, and the best program will depend on that.

Well i am into designing of low - cost products right now, and am confused what sort of specialization should i undertake which helps me in designing new and innovative products. For ex. i have developed a low cost method for domestic cylinder users a way through which they can get the amount of gas remaining in a cylinder.

What are the requirements for admission into a good college for MS in Mechanical?

The specific requirements for admission into a good college for MS in Mechanical can vary, but generally, you will need to have a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field with a high GPA, strong letters of recommendation, and a competitive GRE score. Some colleges may also require relevant work experience and a statement of purpose.

What is the average cost of attending a good college for MS in Mechanical?

The cost of attending a good college for MS in Mechanical can vary greatly depending on the school, location, and program length. On average, tuition and fees for a two-year MS program can range from $30,000 to $100,000. It's important to research and compare the costs of different colleges to find the best fit for your budget.

What is the curriculum like for an MS in Mechanical program at a good college?

The curriculum for an MS in Mechanical program at a good college will typically include advanced coursework in mechanical engineering principles, as well as opportunities for hands-on projects and research. You may also have the option to specialize in a particular area of mechanical engineering, such as robotics or renewable energy.

Are there any notable professors or research opportunities at good colleges for MS in Mechanical?

Yes, many good colleges for MS in Mechanical have notable professors who are experts in their field and have published groundbreaking research. It's important to research the faculty at each college to see if their research aligns with your interests. Additionally, most colleges offer research opportunities for graduate students to work on cutting-edge projects with faculty members.

What are the career prospects for graduates of a good college for MS in Mechanical?

Graduates of a good college for MS in Mechanical have a wide range of career prospects in various industries, such as automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, and renewable energy. With an advanced degree, you can pursue roles such as mechanical engineer, design engineer, project manager, or research and development engineer. The demand for skilled mechanical engineers continues to grow, making it a promising field for career advancement.