Good Grief: Exploring the Force of Gravity

• Thread starter CozmicScott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, Gravity is a force that arises from the topology of space-time. It is not caused by any physical forces, but is instead a geometric construct.
CozmicScott
"Good Grief Gravity"

HI , I'm new here and would just like too hear some thoughts on what everyone's idea about the force of gravity is, and why this magical attaction between mass occurs? Where does it come from? Why does it do what it does? etc. Thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org

General relativity tells us about gravity. If you're still asking for 'why' beyond that, then you've probably regressing too far to be useful.

Hurkyl said:
General relativity tells us about gravity. If you're still asking for 'why' beyond that, then you've probably regressing too far to be useful.

It's just a fun simple question. If i had any other answer other than General Relativity, or Newton's law which for makes it understandable, and explain's it. That information on that force certainly would be useful would it not? I'm sorry for asking "why", but I think if we knew why we could know other things of great importance. Maybe I should have posted else where sorry.:redface:

Gravity, so tells us general relativity, is a force unlike any other because it is a geometric construct: it arises because of the topology of space-time. I think that answers in part one of your questions.

Hey, Coz;
One of the main things about science is that it never asks 'why'. That implies some sort of purpose for something happening. Science asks only 'how'.

I read "The Elegant Universe" By: Brian Greene

That book helps a lot...

One thing I think of when thinking of gravity (whether it's right or not idk) is that if you had two individuals walking parallel to each other on a sphere that represented space their paths would eventually cross at, for example, a "pole" this "phenomena" they are experiencing could be defined as "gravity" although there really are no forces at work despite the fact that they come together along parallel paths...

cholley said:
I read "The Elegant Universe" By: Brian Greene

That book helps a lot...

One thing I think of when thinking of gravity (whether it's right or not idk) is that if you had two individuals walking parallel to each other on a sphere that represented space their paths would eventually cross at, for example, a "pole" this "phenomena" they are experiencing could be defined as "gravity" although there really are no forces at work despite the fact that they come together along parallel paths...

Even though my geometry is kinda rusty, I don't think parallel paths can cross.

Teeril said:
Even though my geometry is kinda rusty, I don't think parallel paths can cross.

Your geometry isn't rusty parallel lines are NOT supposed to cross... that is, in Plane Geometry. However, what you are dealing with is not plane geometry but something more akin to Oceanic Navigation Geometry which has a history dating back for as long as man has sailed the seas (search for more precise dates b/c idk).

1. What is gravity and how does it work?

Gravity is a fundamental force that exists between any two masses. It is responsible for the attraction between objects and their motion towards each other. This force is described by Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force of gravity is directly proportional to the masses of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How was the concept of gravity discovered?

The concept of gravity was first introduced by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century. He observed that objects fall towards the ground and proposed that this was due to a force of attraction between the object and the Earth. Later on, Albert Einstein developed the theory of general relativity, which provided a more comprehensive understanding of gravity.

3. What is the relationship between gravity and mass?

The force of gravity is directly proportional to the masses of the objects involved. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. This is why larger objects, such as planets, have a stronger gravitational force than smaller objects, such as rocks or feathers.

4. How does gravity affect the motion of objects?

Gravity affects the motion of objects by pulling them towards each other. This force is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun, and for the motion of objects falling towards the Earth. The strength of gravity also determines the speed and trajectory of an object's motion.

5. Can gravity be manipulated or controlled?

As of now, there is no known way to manipulate or control the force of gravity. However, scientists are constantly studying and researching ways to better understand this force and potentially find ways to harness it for practical use. The concept of anti-gravity, where gravity is reversed or nullified, is still a topic of debate and has not been proven to be possible.