1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good invention

1. Aug 15, 2004 #1
    What requirements does an innovation need to have in order to be recognized as a good invention?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2004 #2
    If you (or somebody) makes millions of dollars from it, then I would say it is a good invention.
  4. Aug 16, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

"Good" requires a more in-depth explanation by you. If this is some school essay that you have to write, either your instructor has a set of definitions for you to stick to, or you are free to make your own set of criteria.

My take on it is that the invention has to be "useful", and useful to a lot of people, not just a few. Most (but not all) good inventions are patented. Most, but not all, of people who invented something useful make some money out of it. An example of the exception to those two is the invention of the World Wide Web.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?