1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good real analysis books

1. Feb 12, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I am currently taking real analysis(undergraduate course), and am using the book "Introduction to Real Analysis" by Bartle and Sherbert. I think the book is okay overall, but I was hoping to purchase a secondary text to look at whenever I am confused with a proof or something in the Bartle book. Are any of the Dover books on real analysis any good? They are really cheap and thats what I am looking for. I don't need something to work problems out of, just something else to look at in case I don't understand something in Barte.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2012 #2
  4. Feb 12, 2012 #3
    I enjoy Pugh's Analysis text. Very clear, has a bit of humor and it does retain rigor (though some claim it is not completely rigorous in the first couple chapters).

5. Feb 12, 2012 #4
    Thanks all. Not really worried about rigor, just want good explanation of concepts. Also, a book with some humor(personality) would be great. The text im using is dull, unemotional, and I have a sense that the authors aren't even that trilled by the topic.

6. Feb 13, 2012 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

7. Feb 16, 2012 #6
    Kolmogorov & Fomin is pretty good...

8. Feb 19, 2012 #7
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  9. Feb 19, 2012 #8
    I like the following books:

Brannan - A First Course in Mathematical Analysis

Estep - Practical Analysis in One Variable

Unfortunately I have no experience with the Dover titles in analysis, so I can't offer any help on those. The books above are more expensive than most Dover publications, but if you like the Amazon previews/reviews then you might see if your library has copies.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook