Good resource for understanding light waves?

In summary, the student is looking for help understanding what happens when a laser is pointed through a barrier with holes in it. He is lost on the explanation and needs help understanding what the formulas are for.
meni
In a general physics class, one of the things we are studying is light waves. Optics is my biggest struggle within physics anyway, and now my book is explaining what happens when a laser is pointed through a barrier with holes on it. It includes some trigonometric formulas for...I don't even get what the formulas are for.

I'm very lost on this part, so I was hoping someone could point me to a website, or maybe even a book I can get at the library that explains this phenomenon. I think part of the problem is just that I need a good illustration. The illustrations in my textbook are clunky and cluttered and I can't really see what is going on.

I tried googling, but I can't really find anything, probably in part because I'm not sure what exactly to google. The section heading is just called "Interference," but that applies to all sorts of stuff with waves.

I appreciate any help!

Science news on Phys.org
I believe you want "diffraction".

Don't worry, I think every single one of us hates optics with a passion. At least, everyone I know that went on to postgrad did...

Ah! Google seems to know what I'm looking for when I search for diffraction. We did diffraction in the previous physics course, but it was just about what happens when you shine a light from one material through to the other. I probably should have made the connection, but I didn't. Thank you. :-)

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates optics!

No, that's refraction. These are different phenomena. Refraction, I have no clue as to how it works. Diffraction on the other hand is simple enough. I have no clue as to how it works either.

Shut up and calculate :rolleyes:

Oh, I see. Thanks for the correction.

Oh, optics is not always that bad. You get to play with lasers.

dst said:
Shut up and calculate :rolleyes:

That's physics in general. I have the feeling that - especially in modern physics - one first calculates, and then tries to assign a meaning to the answer. Which may be - especially in modern physics - infinite.

CompuChip said:
That's physics in general. I have the feeling that - especially in modern physics - one first calculates, and then tries to assign a meaning to the answer. Which may be - especially in modern physics - infinite.

In other cases it tends to be more of "pour some liquid nitrogen on this 30kV arc lamp and THEN shut up and calculate". This is just drab.

meni said:
In a general physics class, one of the things we are studying is light waves. Optics is my biggest struggle within physics anyway, and now my book is explaining what happens when a laser is pointed through a barrier with holes on it. It includes some trigonometric formulas for...I don't even get what the formulas are for.

I'm very lost on this part, so I was hoping someone could point me to a website, or maybe even a book I can get at the library that explains this phenomenon. I think part of the problem is just that I need a good illustration. The illustrations in my textbook are clunky and cluttered and I can't really see what is going on.

I tried googling, but I can't really find anything, probably in part because I'm not sure what exactly to google. The section heading is just called "Interference," but that applies to all sorts of stuff with waves.

I appreciate any help!

Can you post either a picture or one of the trig formulas? That would provide some context. Those of us who not only enjoy optics, but make our living by it, would be able to better assist.

1. What are light waves?

Light waves are electromagnetic waves that are visible to the human eye. They are a form of energy that travels through space at the speed of light.

2. How are light waves created?

Light waves are created when an object absorbs energy and emits it as electromagnetic radiation. This can happen through various processes such as heating, chemical reactions, or electrical stimulation.

3. What is the relationship between light waves and color?

The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light that it reflects. For example, an object appears red because it reflects red light and absorbs all other colors.

4. How do light waves interact with matter?

Light waves can interact with matter in three ways: reflection, refraction, and absorption. Reflection occurs when light bounces off a surface, refraction occurs when light passes through a medium and changes direction, and absorption occurs when light is absorbed by an object.

5. What is the electromagnetic spectrum and where do light waves fall on it?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible electromagnetic radiation. Light waves fall in the visible portion of the spectrum, between infrared and ultraviolet radiation.