A Road Bike Primer: Entry Level vs Non-Entry Bikes

In summary, the conversation revolves around discussing road bikes and their components, as well as the importance of accessories such as mud guards, lights, and shoes. The difference between entry-level and non-entry level road bikes is explained, with an emphasis on component quality and weight. It is also mentioned that road bikes are not intended for mud guards or lights, and specialized clothing may be necessary for longer rides. The importance of researching frame design and components is emphasized, as well as the resale value of a bike.
cyrusabdollahi said:
Dirty joke alert! :rofl:

Oopsies! :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I assume you mean you need to get the bottom bracket out of the frame. The "cranks" are just the arms that attach to the bottom bracket. You typically need a tool to open the bottom bracket shell to get the bottom bracket itself out. These days, most bearings are actually sealed cartridges, so you may have no luck lubing it yourself. You might be better off just buying a new cartridge bearing.

I have no experience (at all) with mountain-bike components, so I cannot recommend a specific tool. Check Park Tool to see if they have the appropriate tools:

http://www.parktool.com/products/category.asp?cat=9

If it has Shimano components on it, they'll have a tool for it.

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator: