Best Telescope Under $400: Top Picks and Recommendations for US Shoppers

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Littlejenny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary, for a budget of about $400, the Orion XT8 is a good choice. It is an 8" Newtonian telescope with a simple, inexpensive mount that provides the best optics for your money. You can browse eBay for other options, such as a Meade 8" LX90 Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope, but the Orion XT8 is a solid choice. It has a parabolically-figured primary mirror for better image quality and enough aperture for serious stargazing. With a good atlas or set of charts, you can explore the night sky for years to come.
Littlejenny
with about 400$, any suggestion for me ? what i should buy, pls me a store or brand in US pls :D

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Littlejenny said:
with about 400$, any suggestion for me ? what i should buy, pls me a store or brand in US pls :D
An Orion XT8 is well within your budget. It is an 8" Newtonian on an alt-azimuth (Dobsonian) mount. By staying with a simple, inexpensive mount you get the best optics for your money.

I would browse ebay to see what is available. There are some nice cats there in your price range on a regular basis e.g., http://cgi.ebay.com/Meade-8-LX90-Scmidt-Cassegrain-Telescope_W0QQitemZ150510652706QQcategoryZ74929QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DMW%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4524310907123046014

turbo-1 said:
An Orion XT8 is well within your budget. It is an 8" Newtonian on an alt-azimuth (Dobsonian) mount. By staying with a simple, inexpensive mount you get the best optics for your money.

thx for that suggestion, hmm, I've searched for it in google, seem to be quite good :D

http://www.softwareoutsourcing.biz/services/software-development.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Littlejenny said:
thx for that suggestion, hmm, I've searched for it in google, seem to be quite good :D

http://www.softwareoutsourcing.biz/services/software-development.html
It has parabolically-figured primary mirror (not spherically, so you can escape some coma) and has enough aperture to get you into some pretty serious fuzzy-hunting territory. This is a decent scope with reasonable aperture. Buy a nice atlas or set of charts, so you can learn your way around the night sky, and you'll be busy for years.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the best type of telescope to buy for $400?

The best type of telescope to buy for $400 would be a small to medium-sized reflector telescope. These types of telescopes offer the best bang for your buck in terms of aperture and magnification capabilities.

What features should I look for in a good telescope under $400?

When searching for a good telescope under $400, it is important to look for features such as a sturdy mount, good quality optics, and a decent aperture size (at least 4 inches). It is also helpful to look for telescopes with motorized tracking capabilities to make tracking celestial objects easier.

Can I see planets with a telescope under $400?

Yes, you can definitely see planets with a telescope under $400. With a decent aperture size and good quality optics, you can see the rings of Saturn, the moons of Jupiter, and the phases of Venus. However, keep in mind that planets will appear smaller and less detailed compared to what you would see with a more expensive telescope.

Are there any good telescopes under $400 for astrophotography?

While $400 is a relatively low budget for astrophotography, there are still some options available. Look for a telescope with a motorized equatorial mount and a decent aperture size. You may also need to purchase additional accessories such as a DSLR camera adapter or a field flattener to improve image quality.

What are some reputable brands for telescopes under $400?

Some reputable brands for telescopes under $400 include Celestron, Orion, and Meade. It is important to do some research and read reviews before making a purchase to ensure you are getting a good quality telescope within your budget.