Good Trig Books for Self Study: Pre-Calc Ready!

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good trigonometry book for self-study. The person recommends the book "Trigonometry" by Gelfand, which they own and highly recommend for its creative problems and proofs. However, they mention struggling to understand certain topics, such as vectors and their applications, in another book they own. They ask for recommendations for a better book on these topics. Another person suggests a website for basic trigonometry and suggests using a linear algebra book for learning about vectors.
renob
We just got into the trig section of pre calc and I have come to the realization that I forgot most of the trig I was taught in high school. I'm looking for a solid trig book for self study so that I can catch up on what I should know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Trigonometry, Gelfand. I own it, and am in fact looking at it right now. I can guarantee it's a good one. It has creative problems, and many proofs. I highly recommend it.

I have a Larson&Hostetler(&Edwards?) Trigonometry book. Much of it is very, very good, but I struggled to understand about vectors, their projections, dot and cross products. I have studied more than once, in fact 3 or 4 times in my life and still not able to understand for more than a few seconds at a time, and just barely. Is this set of topics just difficult, or is this not the best book for this set of topics? Anybody know of a better Trigonometry book which treats these topics more clearly?

1. What are the key features to look for in a good trigonometry book for self-study?

A good trigonometry book for self-study should have clear and concise explanations of concepts, plenty of practice problems with solutions, and a variety of applications to real-world situations. It should also include diagrams and illustrations to aid in understanding.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong foundation in pre-calculus before starting to study trigonometry?

Yes, it is recommended to have a solid understanding of pre-calculus concepts such as algebra, geometry, and functions before diving into trigonometry. Many trigonometry concepts build upon these foundational topics.

3. Are there any specific authors or publishers that are known for producing good trigonometry books?

Some popular trigonometry book authors include Michael Sullivan, James Stewart, and Ron Larson. As for publishers, some reputable ones include Pearson, McGraw-Hill, and Cengage Learning.

4. Are there any additional resources that can supplement a trigonometry book for self-study?

Yes, there are several online resources such as Khan Academy, MathHelp.com, and CliffsNotes that offer additional practice problems, video tutorials, and step-by-step explanations for trigonometry topics.

5. How long does it typically take to self-study trigonometry?

This can vary depending on the individual's learning pace and dedication. However, on average, it can take anywhere from 2-6 months to self-study trigonometry thoroughly.