Good universitites worldwide for pulsed lasers?

• Thread starter ratmmmb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lasers
In summary, the speaker is currently pursuing a Masters in Optics and Photonics and plans to work with short laser pulses for their PhD. They have applied to various universities, including Imperial College London, UC Berkeley, ETH Zurich, Max Planck Institute, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Stanford, and Caltech. They are seeking advice for other universities with international PhD programs in pulsed lasers. The University of Rochester, CU Boulder, and Georgia Tech are mentioned as having strong groups in ultrafast lasers, while St. Andrews in Scotland may also have a group. The department at the University of Rochester also has a group interested in ultrafast pulse lasers.
ratmmmb
Hello,

I'm finishing a Masters in Optics and Photonics a the moment (and I have a Bachelors in Physics) and I'm planning on working on short laser pulses for my PhD next year. I have applied to Imperial College London, UC Berkeley, ETH Zurich, Max Planck Institute in Munich, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne as well as some others in related topics (Stanford, Caltech etc). Does anyone have advice for other universities that have international PhD programmes (i.e. in English, although I also speak German and some French, but it seems most programmes in Switzerland, Germany, France etc are in English anyway for post-grad stuff) that involve pulsed lasers? Thanks a lot.

Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
The University of Rochester (in NY) has an excellent optics program. Their Laboratory for Laser Energetics studies laser fusion with petawatt laser pulses. (Lawrence Livermore National Lab has an even bigger laser fusion program.)

Here's the particular groups I know of developing ultrafast lasers:
CU Boulder has the Murnane/Kaptyen group.
Georgia Tech has the Rick Trebino group.

Looking up some publications by these groups might lead via references to work of other groups (if you are looking for a group abroad). St. Andrews in Scotland does some good optics work, but I'm not sure if there is an ultrafast group there.

physics girl phd said:
St. Andrews in Scotland does some good optics work, but I'm not sure if there is an ultrafast group there.

We do seem to have a group, led by Wilson SIbbet, interested in ultrafast pulse lasers. Much of the department's research is in optics of one sort or another.

Related to Good universitites worldwide for pulsed lasers?

What are the top universities for pulsed lasers?

Some of the top universities for pulsed lasers include the University of Oxford, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of California Berkeley, University of Michigan, and University of Tokyo.

What are the key factors to consider when choosing a university for pulsed lasers?

Some key factors to consider when choosing a university for pulsed lasers include the quality and reputation of the university's laser research programs, the availability of state-of-the-art equipment and facilities, the expertise of faculty members, and the opportunities for hands-on research experience.

Are there any specific programs or departments that specialize in pulsed lasers?

Yes, many universities have specialized programs or departments that focus on research and education related to pulsed lasers. These may include departments of physics, engineering, or chemistry with a specific focus on laser technology.

What are some notable research advancements in pulsed lasers from these universities?

Some notable research advancements in pulsed lasers from these universities include the development of ultrafast laser systems, advancements in laser spectroscopy and microscopy, and applications in fields such as medicine, materials science, and telecommunications.

Are there any opportunities for students to get involved in pulsed laser research at these universities?

Yes, many universities offer undergraduate and graduate research opportunities in pulsed laser technology. Students can work with faculty members on ongoing research projects, or even conduct their own independent research with access to university resources and facilities.