Got a 500x reflector

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Ki Man
  • Start date
I just got a 500x reflector on Thursday. Gazing is pretty hard though because I live in OC and theres alot of light pollution so its hard to make out most things in the sky other than the moon. Any tips for a high schooler's stargazing?

Answers and Replies

Lets see.
Does your telescope have any manufacturer name on it or any other information other than its a 500x scope.
If you are trying to observe at 500x magnification it will be almost impossible to find anything unless you know the sky very well. Try a lower power eyepiece. A large focal length eyepiece if you have one.

Telescopes which use magnification as a selling point are generally pretty rubbish. You can get a magnification of over x1000 out of a 60mm refractor if you have the right eyepieces this does not mean it is any use at that magnification and will most likely give a rubbish image.

Alex

sas3
Gold Member
More importantly what kind and size is it, I have a 13.1 inch dob and I mainly use the lowest power, about (52 X) as do most people. My first scope was a 3 inch sears retractor and the highest usable magnification was about 200 X and even that was pushing it.
I have the ability to go up to 800 X with my dob but have rarely used it.
You will probably rarely use 500 X.

Last edited:
chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
He is probably referring to the focal length (500 mm) and confusing it with magnification.

Ki Man, is your scope a Celestron ExploraScope 100 or similar?

russ_watters
Mentor
No, low end telescopes are generally advertised according to magnification. So that's probably really what it says.

:redface: its actually hard to tell since the box was oddly labeled and has been thrown away. It didn't really specify for me 500 what so i just had to fill in the blanks there. Low end but what I'm more concerned with now is getting the skills down first. Once I find myself a job over the summer and start making some money I'll try to upgrade, so this is sort of like learning with training wheels before getting on a real bike.

1000mm x 114mm and can be seen here

russ_watters
Mentor
That's a quite respectable beginner scope. Good aperature, good focal ratio, and with a barlow, good versatility. You'll be able to see planets, bright nebulae and clusters, and maybe some bright galaxies with it.

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Can you use a Meade DSI to guide a non-Autostar equipped mount?

russ_watters
Mentor
Yes, I use my DSI to guide my Orion Atlas 11. People make special adapters to connect from USB to the guide port in most motorized telescopes.