Gaze the Stars: Tips for High Schooler Stargazing in OC

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Ki Man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reflector
In summary, the conversation discusses a high schooler's struggles with stargazing due to light pollution and their newly acquired 500x reflector. The expert advises against relying on magnification as a selling point and suggests using a lower power eyepiece for better observation. They also mention the importance of knowing the type and size of the telescope and recommend upgrading in the future. The conversation also touches on using a Meade DSI to guide a non-Autostar equipped mount.
Ki Man
I just got a 500x reflector on Thursday. Gazing is pretty hard though because I live in OC and there's a lot of light pollution so its hard to make out most things in the sky other than the moon. Any tips for a high schooler's stargazing?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Lets see.
Does your telescope have any manufacturer name on it or any other information other than its a 500x scope.
If you are trying to observe at 500x magnification it will be almost impossible to find anything unless you know the sky very well. Try a lower power eyepiece. A large focal length eyepiece if you have one.

Telescopes which use magnification as a selling point are generally pretty rubbish. You can get a magnification of over x1000 out of a 60mm refractor if you have the right eyepieces this does not mean it is any use at that magnification and will most likely give a rubbish image.

Alex

More importantly what kind and size is it, I have a 13.1 inch dob and I mainly use the lowest power, about (52 X) as do most people. My first scope was a 3 inch sears retractor and the highest usable magnification was about 200 X and even that was pushing it.
I have the ability to go up to 800 X with my dob but have rarely used it.
You will probably rarely use 500 X.

Last edited:
He is probably referring to the focal length (500 mm) and confusing it with magnification.

Ki Man, is your scope a Celestron ExploraScope 100 or similar?

No, low end telescopes are generally advertised according to magnification. So that's probably really what it says.

:redface: its actually hard to tell since the box was oddly labeled and has been thrown away. It didn't really specify for me 500 what so i just had to fill in the blanks there. Low end but what I'm more concerned with now is getting the skills down first. Once I find myself a job over the summer and start making some money I'll try to upgrade, so this is sort of like learning with training wheels before getting on a real bike.

1000mm x 114mm and can be seen here

That's a quite respectable beginner scope. Good aperature, good focal ratio, and with a barlow, good versatility. You'll be able to see planets, bright nebulae and clusters, and maybe some bright galaxies with it.

Can you use a Meade DSI to guide a non-Autostar equipped mount?

Yes, I use my DSI to guide my Orion Atlas 11. People make special adapters to connect from USB to the guide port in most motorized telescopes.

What equipment do I need for stargazing?

To get started with stargazing, you will need a telescope, binoculars, a star chart, and a red light flashlight. The telescope will allow you to see further and more detailed views of the stars, while binoculars can be used for wider views. The star chart will help you identify constellations and the red light flashlight will preserve your night vision while you navigate in the dark.

Where is the best place to stargaze in Orange County?

Orange County has many great spots for stargazing, including beaches, parks, and mountain areas. Some popular locations include Crystal Cove State Park, Caspers Wilderness Park, and Santiago Oaks Regional Park. Look for places with low light pollution and a clear view of the sky.

When is the best time to go stargazing?

The best time to go stargazing is on a clear, moonless night. The moon can be bright and make it difficult to see stars, so it's best to plan your stargazing trip during a new moon phase. You can also check the weather forecast to make sure there won't be any clouds or rain.

What constellations can I see in Orange County?

Some of the most notable constellations visible in Orange County include Ursa Major (the Big Dipper), Orion, and Cassiopeia. You can also spot the Milky Way galaxy on a clear night. Make sure to consult a star chart or stargazing app to help you identify and locate these constellations.

How can I make the most of my stargazing experience?

To make the most of your stargazing experience, it's important to plan ahead and be prepared. Research the best spots and times for stargazing in your area, and make sure you have all the necessary equipment and resources. It's also helpful to learn about the different constellations and objects in the sky beforehand, so you can easily identify them when you're stargazing. Finally, bring snacks, water, and warm clothing to make your stargazing trip comfortable and enjoyable.