Government Takeover of All Scientific Publishing

In summary: The idea that political parties have a right to spend unlimited funds under "freedom of speech" is baffling. It just brings in plutocratic elements to your democracy. In systems with a cap no one is preventing you as a private individual raising awareness for a party but as a political party you get an equal platform a long with everyone else. Either way this is a bit off topic.
Lebombo
What would be the outcome of the US government taking over the entire Scientific publishing industry? If all peer review was funded by taxpayer dollars.? That's what I'm mostly interested in hearing about - the results, economic, political..etc of a completely government controlled scientific peer review system.

Physics news on Phys.org
Apart from trampling on the First Amendment?

Vanadium 50 said:
Apart from trampling on the First Amendment?
Not really sure how it would alter anything, the OP hasn't said too much about the government regulating what is published but rather funding it (presumably so it's free to read).

I doubt that it would be beneficial for a few reasons; firstly it would be very expensive for little gain (most people don't want to and/or can't read scientific papers and of those that do most probably have access via institutions) and secondly how would they decide who to fund? I'm probably brushing up to what V50 was referring to here but suppose a crackpot journal applied for government funding what would happen? We'd have to establish criteria for credible journals whereas at the moment it is decided mostly on reputation. You've also got the problem of all the journals that aren't from your country, what about accessing them?

In terms of free-to-read journals I think there would be positive effects by opening access but as I alluded the demographic is quite small.

Ryan_m_b said:
Not really sure how it would alter anything, the OP hasn't said too much about the government regulating what is published but rather funding it (presumably so it's free to read).
Funding is a first amendment issue. If I can't use my money to publish a magazine, the government is preventing me from speaking.

This is similar to the issue with campaign finance limits.

russ_watters said:
Funding is a first amendment issue. If I can't use my money to publish a magazine, the government is preventing me from speaking.

This is similar to the issue with campaign finance limits.
The idea that political parties have a right to spend unlimited funds under "freedom of speech" is baffling. It just brings in plutocratic elements to your democracy. In systems with a cap no one is preventing you as a private individual raising awareness for a party but as a political party you get an equal platform a long with everyone else. Either way this is a bit off topic.

Getting back to the issue at hand the government isn't preventing you from speaking if the situation is simply that you won't be accredited as a journal. If we posit a set up where there is a list of credited journals that the government funds and your magazine doesn't fit the criteria then you simply won't get funded. I'm not advocating this system at all but I think you're being over dramatic when you portray it as an attack on your freedom of speech.

Ryan_m_b said:

I doubt that it would be beneficial for a few reasons; firstly it would be very expensive for little gain (most people don't want to and/or can't read scientific papers and of those that do most probably have access via institutions) and secondly how would they decide who to fund? I'm probably brushing up to what V50 was referring to here but suppose a crackpot journal applied for government funding what would happen? We'd have to establish criteria for credible journals whereas at the moment it is decided mostly on reputation. You've also got the problem of all the journals that aren't from your country, what about accessing them?

In terms of free-to-read journals I think there would be positive effects by opening access but as I alluded the demographic is quite small.

The idea that circulated in scientific community and what I heard of is that government already funds for profit publishing houses indirectly through institutions' subscripton. And as you have noticed correctly, the number of people that reads these jouranls is small and it is mostly done through institution subscriptions. So instead government paying for publishing through institutions, it can fund non-profit publishing houses directly and reduce costs significantly. Still it is just an idea, but it does not look that stupit to me. Regarding the question how the government will know that journal is not crackpot, I would say, in the same way that it does funding of research know, and knows if research is not a crackpot, by asking the scientists. And according to this idea no one forbids anyone to publish their journals, it is just a question of redirection of government fundings.

And since these journals will be funded by taxpayers, they would be open access in the same way as scientific databases such as ncbi and others are open access that by my opinion will have positive impact on research and desementation of scientific knowledge.

Ryan_m_b said:
The idea that political parties have a right to spend unlimited funds under "freedom of speech" is baffling. It just brings in plutocratic elements to your democracy. In systems with a cap no one is preventing you as a private individual raising awareness for a party but as a political party you get an equal platform a long with everyone else. Either way this is a bit off topic.

Getting back to the issue at hand the government isn't preventing you from speaking if the situation is simply that you won't be accredited as a journal. If we posit a set up where there is a list of credited journals that the government funds and your magazine doesn't fit the criteria then you simply won't get funded. I'm not advocating this system at all but I think you're being over dramatic when you portray it as an attack on your freedom of speech.

I believe that the point was supposed to be if the government controls all scientific publishing that means that others as individuals, and groups, would not be allowed to publish without consent from the government thereby reducing freedom of speech (and, in a sense, the press).

TheStatutoryApe said:
I believe that the point was supposed to be if the government controls all scientific publishing that means that others as individuals, and groups, would not be allowed to publish without consent from the government thereby reducing freedom of speech (and, in a sense, the press).
I guess we have to wait for the OP to come back and explain his point as I did not interpret it this way.

Is freedom of speech not completely different than reporting of conclusions following sceintific research, reproduceable, reproduced and controlled.

Do you have the freedom to speak that in your opinion things are different than that research? Sure you can but it should be worthless if you can't produce supporting evidence.

I think we need publicers that only publish what is figured, not what is supposed to be proving a desired policy. For that independence is needed, like in the trias politica idea. But that's probably an utopia

Lebombo said:
What would be the outcome of the US government taking over the entire Scientific publishing industry? If all peer review was funded by taxpayer dollars.? That's what I'm mostly interested in hearing about - the results, economic, political..etc of a completely government controlled scientific peer review system.
Of the Big 3 in scientific/academic publishing (Reed Elsevier, Springer Science+Business Media, and John Wiley & Sons), which account for 42% of articles published, one (John Wiley) is based in the US, the other two are in London and Berlin, respectively. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_publishing#Publishers_and_business_aspects

There are several others outside of the US as well.

My comment is simple. If the government takes over ALL scientific publishing - emphasis is the OP's - that means that nobody besides the government can be in the business of scientific publishing. That's what it means.

Having the government telling people that they cannot publish something clearly runs counter to the First Amendment. Having them do that based on content even more so.

You could perhaps get around this by replacing the word "all" with "some", but since the OP not only wrote "all" but capitalized it, I'm going to assume "all" means "all".

Lebombo said:
What would be the outcome of the US government taking over the entire Scientific publishing industry?
There are publishers outside the U.S., you know?

There really isn't much point to a "what if" thread of this nature.

1. What is meant by "Government Takeover of All Scientific Publishing"?

The term "Government Takeover of All Scientific Publishing" refers to a proposed system in which the government would have complete control over the publication and dissemination of scientific research. This would involve the government funding and overseeing all scientific publishing, as well as determining which research is made available to the public.

2. Why is there a push for a government takeover of scientific publishing?

The main argument for a government takeover of scientific publishing is to make research more accessible and affordable for the public. Currently, many scientific journals are owned by private companies and charge high subscription fees, making it difficult for individuals and smaller institutions to access important research. A government takeover could potentially lower these costs and make research more widely available.

3. What are the potential benefits of a government takeover of scientific publishing?

One potential benefit is that it could lead to more transparency and openness in the scientific publishing process. The government may implement policies that require all research to be published in open access journals, meaning it would be freely available to anyone. This could also lead to more collaboration and sharing of information among scientists and researchers.

4. What are the concerns surrounding a government takeover of scientific publishing?

Some critics argue that a government takeover could lead to censorship or biased selection of research to be published. There are also concerns about the potential for political influence in the publishing process. Additionally, there may be logistical challenges in funding and managing all scientific publishing.

5. Is a government takeover of scientific publishing likely to happen?

Currently, there are no concrete plans for a government takeover of scientific publishing. However, there are ongoing discussions and debates about potential changes to the current system. Ultimately, any significant changes would require collaboration and agreement between various stakeholders, including government agencies, scientific organizations, and publishers.