1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GPA for grad school

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1
    How important is your GPA for grad school admissions? I study in a very competitive college (top 3 in physics) and, for most classes, even though grade inflation exists, getting an A+ can be extremely hard (top 5%) and require substantially more work than getting an A (which isn't that hard). Do grad school admissions actually care if I have a lot of A+ in my transcript? Or is it just how I have read: the GPA is just a threshold, and the difference between A and A+ will not make any difference in my overall application?
    Appreciate your inputs!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2012 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Where did you read that?

Let's say you have fifty applicants and five spots and a limited amount of time. How are you going to decide which applicants to make an offer to?

4. Apr 16, 2012 #3
    Letters of rec, research, personal statement I would imagine are all worth far more than the difference between A and A+.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook