Did the GPS launch cause damage to this person's car?

In summary, this is an old video of the GPS launch back in Jan '97. The launch controllers sit in a blockhouse near the launchpad. The soundtrack is annoying and there is a comment about the cracks in the rocket. The flaming fireballs were caused by solid rocket propellant. Despite any potential failures, the launch is still impressive. There is a humorous comment about explaining the damage to your insurance agent.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
This is an old video of the GPS launch back in Jan '97. The launch controllers sit in a blockhouse fairly near the launchpad, which is kind of cool. Working in a restricted area, they always got the good parking spaces.

http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=157296&ESRC=dod

Physics news on Phys.org
What an annoying soundtrack in the background. :yuck:

Try explaining that to your auto insurance agent. :bugeye:

I like the comment under it..."An anomoly?" :rofl:

I guess that's the techincal term for 17 foot cracks!

cyrusabdollahi said:
I guess that's the techincal term for 17 foot cracks!

:rofl: Yeah, I think so. How do you miss cracks that large?! :bugeye:

How do you miss cracks that large??
Well - it starts out about the size of a fingernail clipping (or smaller) and propagates at about 1500 m/s, or roughly 1/3 speed of sound in the metal.

Those flaming fireballs were the solid rocket propellant.

Well, even if it is a failure, it's pretty impressive.

Moonbear said:
Try explaining that to your auto insurance agent. :bugeye:

I like the comment under it..."An anomoly?" :rofl:

Your insurance company loves those kinds of accidents. If government property comes flaming down from the sky and melts your car, then the government pays for it instead of your auto insurance company.

But that walk out to take a look at your car at the end of what's already been a frustrating day...

1. How does GPS Launch work?

GPS Launch involves launching a series of satellites into orbit around the Earth. These satellites then transmit signals to receivers on the ground, allowing them to determine their location based on the time it takes for the signal to reach them.

2. Who developed GPS Launch?

GPS Launch was developed by the United States Department of Defense in the 1970s for military use. It was later opened up for civilian use in the 1980s.

3. What is the accuracy of GPS Launch?

The accuracy of GPS Launch can vary, but it is typically within 15 meters for civilian use and within a few centimeters for military use. Factors such as satellite geometry and atmospheric conditions can affect the accuracy.

4. How many satellites are needed for GPS Launch to work?

At least 24 satellites are needed for GPS Launch to work effectively. However, there are currently over 30 active satellites in the GPS constellation to ensure continuous coverage and accuracy.

5. Can GPS Launch be used anywhere in the world?

Yes, GPS Launch can be used anywhere in the world as long as there is a clear line of sight to at least 4 satellites. This is why GPS is commonly used for navigation and location services worldwide.