Determining Quadratic and Cubic Functions with Integral Coefficients

In summary, the two questions involve determining quadratic and cubic functions with specific properties, such as given factors and values at certain points. The key is to use the general form of the function and plug in the given information to solve for the coefficients. Making sure to avoid silly mistakes is also crucial.
Dough
Well there are actually two questions i need some help with, if you could provide a full solution so i cna see the step by stpe thing it would be nice.

Question 1
A quadratic function f(x) with integral coefficients has the following properties:
f(3/2) = 0, (x-2) is a factor of f(x), and f(4) = 50. Determine f(x).

Question 2
A cubic function g(x) with integral coefficients has the following properties:
g(3) = 0, G(-3/4) = 0, (x+2) is a factor of g(x), g(1) = -84. Determine g(x).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could begin by writing out a general (generic) quadratic function, e.g. y = ax2 + bx + c and then think how you could solve for a, b and c. Does that help to get you started?

Last edited:
i've written out what I've been given:

f(3/2) = 0 therefore (2x-3) is a factor of f(x),

Factors of f(x) = (2x-3) and (x-2)
f(4) = 50

i also wrote out ax^2 + bx + c as oyu suggested but not seeing a link... :(

whati s the general form of f(x) ??
quadratics look like [itex] f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c [/itex]
ok from taht what is f(2) ?? Using the formula for f(x) above and your given info form equations using f(3/2) and f(4) as well to solve for a, b, and c.

Dough, follow stunner's suggestion. For example, how would you write f(4) in terms of [itex] f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c [/itex]?

i did that but no luck i'll give it another shot, i make mistakes osmetimes so its possible i may have done somethign wrong whihc messed everythign else up...

Go ahead and post here what you've done.

yay, i got the first one... on the third try after the above post, i kept makign silly errors just now... i'll let you know how i do witht he the next one, thanks for the help :D

i don't think i got it right and it was hell of a lot of work... i might give it a shot tomorrow or later i got f(x) = -8x^3 - 50x^2 - 54x + 28

thanks tho i got one so i have teh idea now its just not makign stupid mistakes!

dry, we didnt even have to do number 3... i sitll try it agian later caus ei wanan find out how to do it!

By the way, Dough, I think you were doing the first problem in a better way than writing "f(x)= ax2+ bx+ c" as others were telling you. You are correct that since 3/2 is a 0 of f, 2x-3 is a factor. And you are told that x-2 is a factor. Since f is quadratic, the can't be any more factors involving x, only a constant:
f(x)= a(x-2)(2x-3). Now put x=4 in that, set it equal to 50 and solve for a.

Pretty much the same thing with question 2:
You know that 3 and -3/4 are zeroes of g (I presume that "G(-3/4)" was really "g(-3/4)" ) so that x-3 and 4x+3 are factors. You are told that x+ 2 is a factor. Those three factors will give a cubic so there are no other factors with an x. We must have
g(x)= a(x-3)(4x+3)(x+2) for some constant a. Since g(1) = -84, set x= 1, put it equal to -84 and solve for a.

Related to Determining Quadratic and Cubic Functions with Integral Coefficients

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It involves the use of mathematical models and techniques to solve problems related to rates of change, optimization, and finding the area under a curve.

2. What is the difference between Differential and Integral Calculus?

Differential Calculus deals with the study of instantaneous rates of change and slopes of curves, while Integral Calculus deals with the accumulation of quantities and finding the area under a curve. In simpler terms, Differential Calculus focuses on finding the slope of a curve at a specific point, while Integral Calculus focuses on finding the area under a curve.

3. What are the main topics covered in Gr 12 Calculus?

The main topics covered in Gr 12 Calculus include limits, derivatives, applications of derivatives, antiderivatives, definite integrals, applications of integrals, and techniques of integration.

4. How is Gr 12 Calculus used in real life?

Calculus is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science to solve real-life problems. For example, it is used in designing structures and predicting their strength, in calculating the trajectory of objects in motion, and in analyzing market trends and predicting future outcomes.

5. What are some tips for studying Gr 12 Calculus?

Some tips for studying Gr 12 Calculus include practicing regularly, understanding the concepts rather than memorizing formulas, seeking help from teachers or tutors when needed, and reviewing previous topics before moving on to new ones. It is also important to stay organized and manage time effectively while studying for exams or tests.