1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gr 12 Calculus Question Help

1. Sep 20, 2005 #1
    Well there are actually two questions i need some help with, if you could provide a full solution so i cna see the step by stpe thing it would be nice.

Question 1
    A quadratic function f(x) with integral coefficients has the following properties:
    f(3/2) = 0, (x-2) is a factor of f(x), and f(4) = 50. Determine f(x).

Question 2
    A cubic function g(x) with integral coefficients has the following properties:
    g(3) = 0, G(-3/4) = 0, (x+2) is a factor of g(x), g(1) = -84. Determine g(x).

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2005 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could begin by writing out a general (generic) quadratic function, e.g. y = ax2 + bx + c and then think how you could solve for a, b and c. Does that help to get you started?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  4. Sep 20, 2005 #3
    i've written out what i've been given:

f(3/2) = 0 therefore (2x-3) is a factor of f(x),

Factors of f(x) = (2x-3) and (x-2)
    f(4) = 50

i also wrote out ax^2 + bx + c as oyu suggested but not seeing a link.... :(

5. Sep 20, 2005 #4
    whati s the general form of f(x) ??
    quadratics look like [itex] f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c [/itex]
    ok from taht what is f(2) ?? Using the formula for f(x) above and your given info form equations using f(3/2) and f(4) as well to solve for a, b, and c.

6. Sep 20, 2005 #5

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Dough, follow stunner's suggestion. For example, how would you write f(4) in terms of [itex] f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c [/itex]?

7. Sep 20, 2005 #6
    i did that but no luck i'll give it another shot, i make mistakes osmetimes so its possible i may have done somethign wrong whihc messed everythign else up....

8. Sep 20, 2005 #7

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Go ahead and post here what you've done.

9. Sep 20, 2005 #8
    yay, i got the first one... on the third try after the above post, i kept makign silly errors just now... i'll let ya know how i do witht he the next one, thanks for the help :D

10. Sep 20, 2005 #9
    i dont think i got it right and it was hell of a lot of work... i might give it a shot tomorrow or later i got f(x) = -8x^3 - 50x^2 - 54x + 28

thanks tho i got one so i have teh idea now its just not makign stupid mistakes!

dry, we didnt even have to do number 3... i sitll try it agian later caus ei wanan find out how to do it!

11. Sep 20, 2005 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

By the way, Dough, I think you were doing the first problem in a better way than writing "f(x)= ax2+ bx+ c" as others were telling you. You are correct that since 3/2 is a 0 of f, 2x-3 is a factor. And you are told that x-2 is a factor. Since f is quadratic, the can't be any more factors involving x, only a constant:
    f(x)= a(x-2)(2x-3). Now put x=4 in that, set it equal to 50 and solve for a.

Pretty much the same thing with question 2:
    You know that 3 and -3/4 are zeroes of g (I presume that "G(-3/4)" was really "g(-3/4)" ) so that x-3 and 4x+3 are factors. You are told that x+ 2 is a factor. Those three factors will give a cubic so there are no other factors with an x. We must have
    g(x)= a(x-3)(4x+3)(x+2) for some constant a. Since g(1) = -84, set x= 1, put it equal to -84 and solve for a.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?