GR geodesics

• Thread starter binbagsss
  • Start date

Homework Statement

imactualydoingwork.png

Homework Equations

There are 5 equations we can use.
We have the fact that Lagrangian is a constant for an affinely parameterised geodesic- 0 in this case for a light ray : ##L=0##
And then the Euler-Lagrange equation for each of the 4 variables.

The Attempt at a Solution

The worked solution proceeds by letting ## \dot{y}=0## , where a dot denotes the derivative wrt the affine parameter ##s##.
It uses ##L=0## and then eliminates ##\dot{t}## and ##\dot{x}## via the constants of motion found from Noether's theorem/Euler Lagrange equations.

My question:

How do we know that we have the freedom to set one of the variables ## \dot{y}=0##. (I see by symmetry we could have equally chose ## \dot{x}=0##)..?

(I have worked through without setting ## \dot{y}=0## and then by the symmetry of x and y, using Noether's theorem/Euler - Lagrange we redefine another constant = C_1 + C_2 where C_1 and C_2 are the different constants associated with x/y respectively, however, from just looking at the question, before I start my working out, how do I know I have this freedom?) Thanks

Why do we not have the freedom to set both ## \dot{y}=0## and ## \dot{x}=0##?

(I see that we have 5 equations and 4 variables, does this have something to do with why have freedom to set one of ##\dot{x}## / ##\dot{y}## equal to zero?)

Many thanks in advance

Attachments

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The problem states that the light ray is moving in the x direction, so initially ##\dot{x} \ne 0##.

The problem states that the light ray is moving in the x direction, so initially ##\dot{x} \ne 0##.
Sorry replying on my phone so let x' represent the derivative as a pose to a dot..

At t=0 do we not have ##y' , z' = 0 ## and ## x' \neq 0 ## and so therefore for the constant of motion associated with ##y## it is ##0## at t=0 and so must be 0 for all of t ?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Sorry replying on my phone so let x' represent the derivative as a pose to a dot..

At t=0 do we not have ##y' , z' = 0 ## and ## x' \neq 0 ## and so therefore for the constant of motion associated with ##y## it is ##0## at t=0 and so must be 0 for all of t ?
Since only ##dy^2## appears in the metric, what would cause a change in the +y direction rather than the -y direction, or vice versa?

Since only ##dy^2## appears in the metric, what would cause a change in the +y direction rather than the -y direction, or vice versa?
i'm not sure? so post 3 is wrong?
the metric components would have to have y dependence?

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
i'm not sure? so post 3 is wrong?
the metric components would have to have y dependence?
What happens if you apply Euler-Lagrange? You should get something that looks like ##f(z)\dot{y} = C##. If ##\dot{y} = 0## initially, then clearly the solution is that it remains ##0##.

So, this should fall out of the equations easily enough. But, you could also ask what it is physically about this metric that would cause motion in the y-direction if there is none initially? You could flip your y-coordinates and get the same metric. Then, if the solution to the equations is motion in the +y direction, then that implies two different physical solutions depending on which direction is +y.

Whereas, you can't flip your x-coordinate without changing the initial ##\dot{x}## as well.

In other words, overall the problem is symmetrical in ##y## but not in ##x## due to the non-zero initial velocity; and not in ##z## because it's in the metric.

What happens if you apply Euler-Lagrange? You should get something that looks like ##f(z)\dot{y} = C##. If ##\dot{y} = 0## initially, then clearly the solution is that it remains ##0##.
is this not what i said?