Where did I go wrong in finding the length x using the grabber-statics example?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the length x for a grabber to hold a box. Two moment equations were made and combined into one equation to solve for x. However, the resulting answer was incorrect and further analysis shows that the frictional force must balance the weight of the box and a normal force must be applied to give rise to the friction. The speaker eventually finds the correct solution.
mrshlnnxfa
Hello,

We should get the length x , when the grabber can just hold the box.

yTBz.png

I made two moment equations:

e[czech]{babel}%20M_{1}=\frac{G}{2\mu%20}*\sqrt{(l_{1}+l_{2})^{2}+(\frac{b}{2})^{2}}\end{align*}.gif

yle\begin{align*}\usepackage[czech]{babel}%20M_{2}=\frac{G}{2}*\sin%20\alpha%20*%20x\end{align*}.gif

Then I put them together into one equation:
mathtex.gif

And from that equation I found out x:
mathtex.gif
Unfortunately the result seems to be wrong. Can you please help me? Where I made the mistake?

Engineering news on Phys.org
i think the frictional force balance the wight of the box.we have to give the normal force on the box that give rise to the friction by giving a torque to the grabber

I finally got it. Here is the solution.

Ehpw.png

Yes,that is the correct answer:smile:

1. What is a "Grabber" in the context of statics?

A "Grabber" in the context of statics refers to a tool or device used to measure and analyze forces in a static system. It is typically used to determine the magnitude and direction of forces acting on a structure or object.

2. How does a "Grabber" work?

A "Grabber" works by using sensors or load cells to measure the forces acting on a structure. These measurements are then converted into numerical data that can be analyzed to determine the overall equilibrium and stability of the system.

3. What are some common applications of "Grabber" in statics?

"Grabbers" are commonly used in engineering and construction to analyze the forces acting on bridges, buildings, and other structures. They are also used in biomechanics to study the forces exerted on the human body during various activities.

4. Are there different types of "Grabbers" for different types of systems?

Yes, there are different types of "Grabbers" that are designed for specific types of systems. For example, there are "Grabbers" specifically designed for measuring forces in bridges, while others are designed for analyzing forces in human movement.

5. How accurate are the measurements obtained from a "Grabber"?

The accuracy of "Grabber" measurements depends on various factors such as the quality of the equipment, the calibration process, and the skill of the person using it. However, most "Grabbers" have a high level of accuracy and can provide reliable data for analysis.