Grad. School in Physics w/ BA in Romance language

In summary, if someone has a BA in Romance Languages from NYU and wants to apply to a physics graduate program, they will likely need to return to undergraduate study and earn a second degree in a STEM field. Most schools in the US require the GRE for admission, but it is not a substitute for an undergraduate degree. Prerequisites for each school may vary and it is possible for an outstanding applicant to be accepted without an undergraduate degree in physics, but this is rare. It is important to have a strong background in physics before applying to a graduate program.
chinablue
How would one apply to a physics graduate program when they have a BA in Romance Languages from NYU?

Are prerequisites specific to each school?

I assume a GRE is required for all schools.

Does one need an undergraduate degree in Physics?

Any advice along these lines is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
An undergraduate degree in physics is a prerequisite for most undergraduate programs. Some people are accepted with degrees that are close such as engineering physics or physical chemistry or hybrid degrees.

Given that a BA in romance languages has little if any overlap with a standard undergraduate physics curriculum, the only way to get into physics graduate school is to return to undergraduate study for a few years and earn a second degree.

The GRE is not required for all schools, but it is for most in the USA. And for what it's worth, it's not a substitute for an undergraduate degree. It's more of a means of partially compensating for the different levels of rigor and difficulty at the many different schools out there.

Nominally they say you will need a STEM undergraduate degree...but I suppose for an outstanding applicant they might consider other degrees. I have heard anecdotes of people who got into PhD programs without even having done an undergrad. These would be extreme snowflake superstar cases, though.

Now, as to whether you are an outstanding applicant. Most likely your undergrad did not require you to do any physics at all, and if you did do it, it was for an elective.

I don't know your background...have you ever taken any physics courses?

chinablue said:
How would one apply to a physics graduate program when they have a BA in Romance Languages from NYU?

Are prerequisites specific to each school?

I assume a GRE is required for all schools.

Does one need an undergraduate degree in Physics?

Any advice along these lines is greatly appreciated.

Yeah, that won't work at all. They won't accept you and you'd be a world of hurt if they did. (unless you have maybe done some major level of independent study on the side and have a particular major genius for physics in some out of the ordinary way) Almost certainly you'll need to go back to undergrad for a few years (probably 2 or 3, unless there is a lot you've left out of your story and you've already taken a considerable number, but perhaps just shy of a dual major or something).

I can understand your concern about applying to a physics graduate program with a BA in Romance Languages. While it may seem like a challenging transition, it is not impossible. Many graduate programs in physics do have specific prerequisites, but they may vary from school to school. Some programs may require a certain number of undergraduate physics courses, while others may accept students with a strong background in mathematics or other related fields. It would be best to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in and reach out to their admissions office for clarification.

In terms of the GRE, it is a common requirement for most graduate programs, including physics. However, some schools may have specific score requirements, so it is important to prepare and perform well on the exam.

As for the need for an undergraduate degree in physics, it is not always a requirement. Some graduate programs may consider applicants with a strong background in other fields, as long as they have completed the necessary prerequisites and can demonstrate a strong understanding of physics concepts. However, having an undergraduate degree in physics may give you an advantage in the application process.

My advice would be to reach out to the admissions office of the graduate programs you are interested in to discuss your background and see if they have any specific recommendations or requirements. You may also want to consider taking some additional physics courses to strengthen your knowledge and skills in the field. Ultimately, it will be important to demonstrate your passion and commitment to pursuing a graduate degree in physics, regardless of your undergraduate background. Good luck with your application!

1. Can I pursue a graduate degree in physics with a BA in a different field, such as a Romance language?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in physics with a BA in a different field. However, it may require taking additional courses or completing a bridging program to ensure that you have the necessary background knowledge and skills for graduate-level physics courses.

2. Are there any specific requirements or prerequisites for applying to a graduate program in physics with a BA in a Romance language?

Each graduate program may have its own specific requirements and prerequisites, so it is important to research and carefully review the admissions requirements of the programs you are interested in. Generally, having a strong background in mathematics, physics, and other related sciences will be beneficial.

3. Will having a BA in a Romance language put me at a disadvantage compared to other applicants with a BA in physics or a related field?

Having a BA in a different field may not necessarily put you at a disadvantage, as graduate programs often value diversity and interdisciplinary perspectives. However, it is important to demonstrate your interest and aptitude for physics through relevant coursework, research experience, and strong letters of recommendation.

4. Can I specialize in a specific area of physics with a BA in a Romance language?

Yes, many graduate programs offer opportunities for students to specialize in a specific area of physics, such as astrophysics, particle physics, or condensed matter physics. However, it may require taking additional courses or completing a thesis or research project in that area to gain expertise.

5. What career opportunities are available after completing a graduate degree in physics with a BA in a Romance language?

A graduate degree in physics can lead to various career opportunities, including working in research and development, teaching at the university level, or pursuing a career in industry or government. Your proficiency in a Romance language may also open up opportunities for international collaborations and positions in international organizations.