Grad school to study Quantum Gravity?

In summary, the speaker has a bachelors degree in Ephys and a limited background in general relativity and quantum mechanics. They are interested in pursuing quantum gravity, specifically LQG and semi-classical approaches. They are looking for schools that specialize in this field, such as LSU, Penn State University, Marseille, Ulm University, Nottingham, and Perimeter Institute. They also suggest asking Marcus in the forums for a more comprehensive list.
cuallito
I've got a bachelors in Ephys and I'm REALLY interested in quantum gravity (LQG and semi-classical approaches), but my GR experience is limited to running a few simulations in Mathematica, and I've just had the first semester of QM.

I know it's not realistic to start doing QG right away with this knowledge but what schools should I be looking at to start heading in that direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I see in the US you have LSU, Pen-State univ which specifically approach LQG.
In Europe you have Marseille and also Ulm Univ in germany which I saw there's a group which deals in LQG (mainly applications to cosmology), besides these in England there's Nottingham, and in Canada there's Perimeter.
These are the places where I have looked and they have the prominent researchers in LQG.

You can ask Marcus in the forums for a more thorough list.

Related to Grad school to study Quantum Gravity?

1. What is Quantum Gravity and why is it important to study?

Quantum Gravity is a theory that aims to unify two major theories in physics, General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. It seeks to explain the behavior of gravity at a microscopic level, where classical physics breaks down. Understanding Quantum Gravity is important because it could provide a more complete understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.

2. What are the prerequisites for studying Quantum Gravity in grad school?

In order to study Quantum Gravity in grad school, a strong background in mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra, is necessary. Knowledge of classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and general relativity is also important. It is recommended to have taken courses in quantum field theory and differential geometry as well.

3. What are some potential career paths for those who study Quantum Gravity in grad school?

Graduate studies in Quantum Gravity can lead to careers in academia, research institutes, or in the private sector. Many graduates go on to become professors, researchers, or work in industries such as aerospace or quantum computing.

4. Are there any specific grad schools or programs that specialize in Quantum Gravity?

Yes, there are several universities around the world that offer graduate programs in Quantum Gravity, such as the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Canada, the University of Oxford in the UK, and the University of California, Santa Barbara in the US. It is important to research and choose a program that aligns with your specific interests and goals.

5. What kind of research opportunities are available in Quantum Gravity for grad students?

There are many research opportunities in Quantum Gravity for grad students. Some may work on theoretical projects, developing new mathematical models and theories, while others may focus on experimental research, testing and verifying existing theories. Collaborations with other students and faculty members are also common in Quantum Gravity research.