Grade Calculator: Find GPA & Subject Grades

• Thread starter smiley4080
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student who needs help with creating a Grade Calculator. They explain that the calculator should take the expected GPA and number of credit hours for each subject, and calculate the grade needed in each subject to achieve the desired GPA. The student has tried multiple equations and formulas but has not been successful. Another person suggests using a weighted average, and mentions the possibility of multiple solutions depending on the grading system's granularity. The student requests another formula for finding the grade needed in each subject.
smiley4080
Hello ,

I need some help>>>

I try to make Grade Calculater The student must enter his expected GPA and the number of credit hours than the calculator must find the grade (e.g A,B+,B,...etc) in each subject

for example if I want to get 3.7 in this semester and I took 3subject with 3,4,8 hours respectively what's the grade that I must get in each.

I try to find an equation that will help me

but I get fail because I try manythings and many equation and formula but nothing work

So can you please help me?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
smiley4080 said:
for example if I want to get 3.7 in this semester and I took 3subject with 3,4,8 hours respectively what's the grade that I must get in each.

3.7 in each will work as will anything that give a 3.7 average. Do you not know how to take a weighted average?

There is no ONE answer but a multitude of combinations.

Assuming that grades in each class are integer values, then you have the Diophantine equation
30x+ 40y+ 80z= 555. x= y= z= 3.7 is not a valid solution but there still may be many solutions.

HallsofIvy said:
Assuming that grades in each class are integer values, then you have the Diophantine equation
30x+ 40y+ 80z= 555. x= y= z= 3.7 is not a valid solution but there still may be many solutions.

Very good point. I was assuming fine granularity in the grading system, which of course may not be the case. smiley4080, the number of solutions will go up as the granularity of the grading system becomes finer. Probably I should say that the number of solutions will LIKELY go up as the ... since it COULD still be possible that there is only one combination. Clearly if the granularity is .1 points, then you can have 3.7 in each.

I know it me there are many possible answer but I need other formula which I used
I used the formula of how to get GPA to get one of possible answer but I thing is not correct way

1. How does a grade calculator work?

A grade calculator works by taking in the input of your grades for each subject and weight of each assignment or exam, and then using a specific formula to calculate your overall grade or GPA. It can also take into account any extra credit or dropped grades, depending on the calculator's features.

2. Can a grade calculator accurately predict my final grade?

While a grade calculator can give you an estimate of your final grade based on the information you input, it may not always be 100% accurate. Factors such as participation, attendance, and class difficulty may also impact your final grade.

3. Is there a specific formula used by all grade calculators?

No, there is not a universal formula used by all grade calculators. Some may use a weighted average system, while others may take into account individual scores on each assignment. It is important to understand the formula being used by the specific grade calculator you are using.

4. Can a grade calculator calculate my GPA for multiple semesters?

Yes, many grade calculators have the capability to calculate your GPA for multiple semesters or even your entire academic career. This can be helpful for tracking your progress and setting goals for future semesters.

5. Are grade calculators only useful for college students?

No, grade calculators can be useful for students at any level, including high school and middle school. They can also be helpful for teachers or parents who want to track a student's progress and provide guidance for improvement.