Gradient Partial Derivative Problem

In summary, the elevation of a mountain at (x,y) is given by 3000e^\frac{-x^2-2y^2}{100} meters, with the positive x-axis pointing east and the positive y-axis pointing north. A climber is currently at (10,10) and if she moves northwest, she will descend at a certain slope. To find the slope, the dot product of the gradient with a unit vector pointing northwest needs to be calculated. The unit vector for northwest is not the same as the direction of the gradient vector.
cmajor47

Homework Statement

The elevation of a mountain above sea level at (x,y) is 3000e^[tex]\frac{-x^2-2y^2}{100}[/tex] meters. The positive x-axis points east and the positive y-axis points north. A climber is directly above (10,10). If the climber moves northwest, will she ascend or descend and at what slope.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]eu=eu[tex]\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\nabla[/tex]f(10,10)=-600e-3i-1200e-3j

I know that the climber will descend but I don't know how to figure out the slope that she will descend at. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
To find the slope you want to take the dot product of your gradient with a unit vector pointed in the northwest direction. Can you find one?

Would the unit vector be 600e-3i-1200e-3j since west is the opposite of east?

No. A UNIT vector pointing west would be -i. A unit vector pointing north would be j. Do you see why? Northwest is at a 45 degree angle to both of those. Finding a unit vector pointing NW has nothing to do with your gradient vector. It's a whole different problem.

1. What is a gradient partial derivative?

A gradient partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant. It represents the slope of a tangent line to a surface in a specific direction.

2. How is a gradient partial derivative calculated?

The gradient partial derivative is calculated by taking the partial derivative of the function with respect to the given variable and then evaluating it at a specific point.

3. What is the significance of the gradient partial derivative?

The gradient partial derivative is significant because it helps us understand how a function changes in a particular direction. This is important in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, where understanding rates of change is crucial for making predictions and solving problems.

4. Can a gradient partial derivative be negative?

Yes, a gradient partial derivative can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing in the given direction. A positive gradient partial derivative indicates that the function is increasing in that direction.

5. How is the gradient partial derivative related to the gradient vector?

The gradient partial derivative is related to the gradient vector in that it is a component of the gradient vector. The gradient vector is a vector of all the partial derivatives of a multivariable function, with each component representing the rate of change in a specific direction. The gradient partial derivative corresponds to the component in the direction of the given variable.