1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradient Partial Derivative Problem

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The elevation of a mountain above sea level at (x,y) is 3000e^[tex]\frac{-x^2-2y^2}{100}[/tex] meters. The positive x-axis points east and the positive y-axis points north. A climber is directly above (10,10). If the climber moves northwest, will she ascend or descend and at what slope.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]eu=eu[tex]\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]\nabla[/tex]f(10,10)=-600e-3i-1200e-3j

I know that the climber will descend but I don't know how to figure out the slope that she will descend at. Can anyone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To find the slope you want to take the dot product of your gradient with a unit vector pointed in the northwest direction. Can you find one?

4. Mar 2, 2009 #3
    Would the unit vector be 600e-3i-1200e-3j since west is the opposite of east?

5. Mar 2, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. A UNIT vector pointing west would be -i. A unit vector pointing north would be j. Do you see why? Northwest is at a 45 degree angle to both of those. Finding a unit vector pointing NW has nothing to do with your gradient vector. It's a whole different problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook