Master's Programs in the US: Requirements and Funding

In summary, a final year bachelor's student from India is seeking information about math master's programs in the States or Europe, with a preference for applied mathematics but open to pure math. They are unsure about the admission procedure and whether they need to take the subject GRE for a master's degree. They welcome any advice and should check the specific requirements and funding information for the programs they are interested in.
Oster
Hi!

I am a final year bachelor's student majoring in Math. I live in India, but I would like to go the the States or Europe for master's degree. I'd eventually like to do applied mathematics (I'm open to doing pure math at this stage). Can someone tell me which schools offer decent math master's courses and maybe brief me on what whole admission procedure will be like. I'm giving my general GRE test next week. Will I have to give my subject GRE even if I'm not applying for a Phd? Any advice is welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
requirements regarding taking subject GRE may differ from school to school. you have to check requirements for particular programs you will apply. also check info about funding because some Departments don't offer funding for master's students

What is the application process for graduate school in the US?

The application process for graduate school in the US typically involves submitting an online application, transcripts, letters of recommendation, a personal statement or essay, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE or GMAT). Some programs may also require a resume or CV and a writing sample. It is important to carefully review the application requirements for each school and program you are applying to.

What is the difference between a master's and a doctoral degree?

A master's degree is typically a 2-year program that focuses on a specific subject area and involves coursework and a final project or thesis. A doctoral degree, also known as a PhD, is a more advanced degree that typically takes 4-6 years to complete and involves extensive research and the completion of a dissertation. Doctoral degrees are often required for careers in academia or research.

How much does graduate school in the US cost?

The cost of graduate school in the US can vary greatly depending on the institution and program. On average, tuition and fees for a master's degree can range from $30,000 to $120,000, while a doctoral degree can cost anywhere from $50,000 to $200,000. It is important to research the cost of each program and consider financial aid options, such as scholarships, grants, and assistantships.

What is the difference between a full-time and part-time graduate program?

A full-time graduate program typically requires students to take a certain number of credits per semester and can range from 9-12 credits. This allows students to complete their degree in a shorter amount of time, usually 2 years for a master's and 4-6 years for a doctoral degree. Part-time programs allow students to take a smaller course load and may take longer to complete, but can be more manageable for those who are working or have other commitments.

What should I consider when choosing a graduate program in the US?

When choosing a graduate program in the US, it is important to consider the program's reputation, faculty, research opportunities, location, cost, and career outcomes. It is also important to research the program's curriculum and make sure it aligns with your career goals and interests. Visiting the campus and talking to current students and alumni can also provide valuable insights into the program. Ultimately, it is important to choose a program that will best prepare you for your desired career path.