Search Grad Programs in Physics with Non Physics Bachelors

In summary, individuals with non-physics bachelor's degrees can still pursue graduate programs in physics through specialized programs designed to bridge the knowledge gap. These programs offer courses in fundamental physics concepts and allow students to gain the necessary skills to succeed in a physics graduate program. Some universities also offer accelerated programs for individuals with non-physics backgrounds, allowing them to complete their graduate studies in a shorter timeframe. Overall, there are various options available for those interested in pursuing graduate programs in physics with a non-physics bachelor's degree.
mezarashi
Homework Helper
Hi, I'm wondering if any of you have any good websites that help in the search for graduate programs. Hopefully they'll have some reviews of programs in physics. I need to search for schools that will actually accept a non Physics bachelors (i.e. Electronic Engineering). I'm particularly interested in a program in Applied Physics.

I've tried www.petersons.com but it's not very physics minded.

Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
mezarashi said:
Hi, I'm wondering if any of you have any good websites that help in the search for graduate programs. Hopefully they'll have some reviews of programs in physics. I need to search for schools that will actually accept a non Physics bachelors (i.e. Electronic Engineering). I'm particularly interested in a program in Applied Physics.
I've tried www.petersons.com but it's not very physics minded.
Thanks !

Try

http://www.gradschoolshopper.com/

If you don't know this already (since you weren't a physics major and may not have been a member of the SPS), you should always go to the AIP website for anything related to career/educational issues on physics and related fields.

www.aip.org

You may also want to read this thread that may be relevant.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966&highlight=so-and-so+degree

Zz.

As a fellow scientist, I understand the importance of finding the right graduate program in your field of interest. There are several resources that can help you in your search for graduate programs in physics for non-physics bachelors.

Firstly, I would recommend checking out the American Physical Society's website (https://www.aps.org/programs/education/gradschools/index.cfm) which has a comprehensive list of graduate programs in physics across the United States. You can filter your search by degree type, program type, and even by specific research areas such as applied physics.

Another useful resource is the GradSchools website (https://www.gradschools.com/programs/physics) which allows you to search for graduate programs in physics based on your undergraduate degree. They also have a section for reviews and rankings of programs, which can be helpful in making your decision.

Additionally, I would suggest reaching out to individual universities and their physics departments to inquire about their admission requirements for non-physics bachelor's degrees. Many universities are open to accepting students from diverse backgrounds, and some even have specific programs for non-physics majors interested in pursuing a graduate degree in physics.

Lastly, networking and connecting with other professionals in the field can also be beneficial in your search. You can join online forums or attend conferences and events to meet and learn from other physicists who may have valuable insights and recommendations for graduate programs.

I wish you the best of luck in your search for a graduate program in applied physics. With determination and the right resources, I am confident you will find a program that aligns with your interests and goals.

1. What is the difference between a physics graduate program and a non-physics graduate program?

A physics graduate program focuses specifically on the study of physics, including topics such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. A non-physics graduate program, on the other hand, may have a broader focus and could include topics from other disciplines such as engineering, mathematics, or computer science.

2. Can I pursue a graduate degree in physics with a non-physics bachelor's degree?

Yes, many universities offer graduate programs in physics that are designed for students with non-physics undergraduate degrees. These programs typically require students to complete prerequisite courses in physics and mathematics before starting the graduate coursework.

3. Are there any specific skills or experience I need to have for a physics graduate program with a non-physics bachelor's degree?

While having a background in physics can be helpful, it is not always required for a non-physics bachelor's degree. However, strong mathematical and analytical skills are essential for success in a physics graduate program. Some programs may also require applicants to have prior research experience or relevant coursework in physics.

4. How long does it take to complete a graduate program in physics with a non-physics bachelor's degree?

The length of a graduate program in physics can vary depending on the specific program and the student's course load. On average, it can take 2-3 years to complete a master's degree and 4-6 years to complete a doctoral degree in physics.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a graduate degree in physics and a non-physics bachelor's degree?

Having a graduate degree in physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, academia, engineering, data science, and more. With a non-physics bachelor's degree, you may also have the opportunity to combine your physics knowledge with your undergraduate field of study, leading to unique and diverse career paths.