Graduate Schools for math and undergad degrees

In summary, the conversation is about how graduate schools view students with a B.A. and a B.S. degree. The person is planning to do a dual degree with Columbia University, getting a B.A. in math/economics and a B.S. in applied math. They are considering pursuing a PhD in applied math and seeking feedback on their plan. It is mentioned that having two undergraduate degrees can help distinguish oneself and that a PhD in physics can lead to a job in finance.
courtrigrad
Math Graduate Schools: Views on undergraduate degrees

Hello

How do graduate schools look upon students who receive a B.A. and a B.S? I am planning to do a dual degree with Columbia University, getting a B.A. in math/economics, and a B.S. from Columbia. I then want to go for a PhD in applied math. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
any feedback is appreciated

From what I hear, a PhD in physics can land you a job in finance.

courtrigrad said:
Hello

How do graduate schools look upon students who receive a B.A. and a B.S? I am planning to do a dual degree with Columbia University, getting a B.A. in math/economics, and a B.S. from Columbia. I then want to go for a PhD in applied math. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

What are you getting the B.S. in? It'll probably help you out... from what I've been told (from college admissions people), having two undergraduate degrees is a good way to distinguish yourself from the rest of the pack

I am getting the B.S. in applied math from Columbia

Plastic Photon said:
From what I hear, a PhD in physics can land you a job in finance.

It's true. My mom's friend is an investbanker and analyst at TD Waterhouse in Canada. He has his Ph.D. in particle physics.

1. What is the difference between a graduate school and an undergraduate school?

A graduate school is a post-secondary institution that offers advanced degrees, such as master's and doctoral degrees, in specific fields. It is usually attended after completing a bachelor's degree. On the other hand, an undergraduate school is a post-secondary institution that offers bachelor's degrees. It is usually attended after completing high school.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a graduate degree in math?

There are several benefits to pursuing a graduate degree in math. First, it allows you to gain a deeper understanding of the subject and develop advanced skills in problem-solving and critical thinking. This can make you more marketable in the job market and qualify you for higher-paying positions. Additionally, a graduate degree in math can open up opportunities for research and teaching positions in academia.

3. What qualifications are needed for admission into a graduate school for math?

Each graduate school may have slightly different requirements, but most will look for applicants who have a strong academic record, particularly in math and related courses. They may also require letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and standardized test scores, such as the GRE. Some programs may also have specific prerequisites, such as coursework in advanced math topics.

4. Can I pursue a graduate degree in math if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in math even if your undergraduate degree is in a different field. Some graduate programs may have specific prerequisites that need to be fulfilled before admission, but many will also consider applicants with a strong background in math, regardless of their undergraduate major. It may be helpful to take some additional math courses before applying to strengthen your application.

5. Are there any specializations within graduate programs for math?

Yes, there are many different specializations within graduate programs for math, such as pure math, applied math, statistics, and computational math. Depending on your interests and career goals, you may choose to specialize in a particular area. It is important to research the different specializations offered by various graduate programs to find the one that aligns with your interests and goals.