1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate Schools in Canada for Meteorology and any other releated sciences

1. Jul 23, 2006 #1
    Is there a site with a list of Canada based graduate schools, I want to pursue graduate school not in the US but Canada. Also my GPA is around 3.1 but it is just the start of my junior year and I plan to improve on that to around 3.3 at least, so I hope its still possible for me to go since my only grades that bring me down our general ed classes.
    Also when is the right time to be looking towards graduate schools and taking the GRE.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2006 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

At the bottom of this webpage there's a (non-exhaustive) list of links to Canadian graduate programs in physics; I'm not sure if any of the universities have programs in Meteorology, though.

4. Jul 23, 2006 #3

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As mute pointed out, physics departments are a good start but you might need to look at unusual place to find what you are looking for.

For example, my old department had a meterologist but it was natural resource sciences in the faculty of agricutural and environmental science
    http://www.nrs-staff.mcgill.ca/strachan/

As far as GPA goes, it will depend on the university requirement. Some univeristy also look at your GPA from your last 2 years of study rather than at your cumulative GPA. However, the requirement for the last 2 years is much higher than for the cumulative GPA.

Also a high GPA is important for external funding and bursuries. Your GPA might meet the minimun requirement for grad schoold but you may find your self with insufficient financial resources and very limited opportunity if you cannot apply for funding from the provicial, federal government or the university itself. Not all profs have the funding to pay for graduate student and not all profs are willing to take you if don't have a high GPA/external funding.

5. Jul 23, 2006 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?