Graduate Schools in Canada for Meteorology and any other releated sciences

In summary: I don't know when the GRE is required, but it is definitely something to consider. It can be helpful in getting a scholarship and in finding a job after you graduate.
badtwistoffate
Is there a site with a list of Canada based graduate schools, I want to pursue graduate school not in the US but Canada. Also my GPA is around 3.1 but it is just the start of my junior year and I plan to improve on that to around 3.3 at least, so I hope its still possible for me to go since my only grades that bring me down our general ed classes.
Also when is the right time to be looking towards graduate schools and taking the GRE.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
At the bottom of http://www.phy.duke.edu/graduate/links.ptml" there's a (non-exhaustive) list of links to Canadian graduate programs in physics; I'm not sure if any of the universities have programs in Meteorology, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
As mute pointed out, physics departments are a good start but you might need to look at unusual place to find what you are looking for.

For example, my old department had a meterologist but it was natural resource sciences in the faculty of agricutural and environmental science
http://www.nrs-staff.mcgill.ca/strachan/

As far as GPA goes, it will depend on the university requirement. Some univeristy also look at your GPA from your last 2 years of study rather than at your cumulative GPA. However, the requirement for the last 2 years is much higher than for the cumulative GPA.

Also a high GPA is important for external funding and bursuries. Your GPA might meet the minimun requirement for grad schoold but you may find your self with insufficient financial resources and very limited opportunity if you cannot apply for funding from the provicial, federal government or the university itself. Not all profs have the funding to pay for graduate student and not all profs are willing to take you if don't have a high GPA/external funding.

You might also be interested in Space Science which i think meteorology might be listed under.

Look at YorkU they have a pretty good program out there(they helped build the Canada Arm on the space shuttle).
http://www.yorku.ca/esse/
http://www.cress.yorku.ca/grad/

What is the admission process for graduate schools in Canada for Meteorology and related sciences?

The admission process for graduate schools in Canada for Meteorology and related sciences typically involves submitting an online application, providing transcripts and letters of recommendation, and completing an entrance exam such as the GRE. Some schools may also require a research proposal and/or an interview.

What are the top graduate schools in Canada for Meteorology and related sciences?

According to US News & World Report, the top graduate schools in Canada for Meteorology and related sciences are the University of Toronto, McGill University, and the University of British Columbia. However, rankings can vary and it's important to research and consider factors such as faculty expertise and research opportunities when choosing a graduate school.

What types of research opportunities are available in graduate schools for Meteorology and related sciences in Canada?

Graduate schools in Canada for Meteorology and related sciences offer a variety of research opportunities, including atmospheric and climate research, studies on severe weather events, and environmental monitoring. Students may also have the opportunity to work with industry partners on projects related to energy, transportation, or agriculture.

What is the job outlook for graduates of Meteorology and related sciences programs in Canada?

The job outlook for graduates of Meteorology and related sciences programs in Canada is generally positive. According to the Government of Canada Job Bank, employment for meteorologists and climatologists is expected to grow at an average rate in the coming years. Graduates may find employment in various industries, including government agencies, research institutions, and private companies.

What types of financial aid and scholarships are available for graduate students in Meteorology and related sciences in Canada?

Graduate students in Meteorology and related sciences in Canada may be eligible for various forms of financial aid, including scholarships, grants, and assistantships. Some common funding sources for graduate students include the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), and the Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society (CMOS).