How Does Acceleration Affect Velocity in 1D Motion?

In summary: And then car stopsYes, that is correct. When acceleration becomes less positive (when it is still positive), velocity still increases but at a decreasing rate.And then when acceleration becomes negative, velocity decreases in the positive direction.
rudransh verma
Gold Member
Homework Statement
The acceleration time graph of a particle moving in straight line is given below. The velocity of particle at t=0 is 2 m/s. The velocity after 2s will be?
Relevant Equations
Area under the curve will give velocity.
##v=\frac12 *1*4+\frac12*1*4= 4 m/s## but the answer is wrong.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 68
Physics news on Phys.org
That's because your relevant equation is wrong. What is the velocity at t=6 if the area is zero ?

##\ ##

BvU said:
That's because your relevant equation is wrong. What is the velocity at t=6 if the area is zero ?

##\ ##
If area is zero means no acceleration. That means velocity v=u, the initial velocity.

So ...

BvU said:
So ...
So v=2m/s. But here there is acceleration and equal acceleration and de acceleration. So I think it should v=u at t=2sec

There is no deceleration. The magnitude of the acceleration increases to a maximum then decreases, but it is always positive.

The statement in your first post is wrong. Area under the curve equals change in velocity. If the initial velocity is 2 m/s, then the final velocity is...?

• Skeptical
Likes BvU
mjc123 said:
There is no deceleration. The magnitude of the acceleration increases to a maximum then decreases, but it is always positive.

The statement in your first post is wrong. Area under the curve equals change in velocity. If the initial velocity is 2 m/s, then the final velocity is...?
Giving it all away, eh ?
Much better if @rudransh verma discovers this for him/her self !

##\ ##

BvU said:
Giving it all away, eh ?
Much better if @rudransh verma discovers this for him/her self !
It's stated in the image posted in post #1. I'm just making it more explicit in words. I assumed that's legitimate as OP has made an attempt at the question and explained their thinking, it's OK to point out where they're mistaken. I'm not working out the answer for them.

Likes BvU
mjc123 said:
Can you give me an example where there is equal acceleration and de acceleration via graph?
mjc123 said:
Area under the curve equals change in velocity.
But I have read area under curve gives velocity. Is it because initial velocity is not equal to zero.

Last edited:
rudransh verma said:
Can you give me an example where there is equal acceleration and de acceleration via graph?

But I have read area under curve gives velocity. Is it because initial velocity is not equal to zero.
Could you produce a graph showing how the velocity changes respect to time for this specific problem?
It is difficult not to get confused by graphs of acceleration versus time, because in practical life we are used to constant values of acceleration (horizontal lines in a a-t graph), like when an object falls (at gravity acceleration) or when a car decreases its velocity at a steady rate (slowly braking before a traffic light).

Lnewqban said:
Could you produce a graph showing how the velocity changes respect to time for this specific problem?

Attachments

• cvvcv.png
    cvvcv.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 62
The straight line graph you show would mean the acceleration ##dv\over dt## is constant ! Post #1 clearly doesn't have that.

rudransh verma said:
equal acceleration and de acceleration
You are mistaken here: from time 0 to 1 there is acceleration and from time 1 to 2 there is acceleration too !
As you calculate correctly, the area under the ##a(t)## curve is +4 m/s.

Hint: Check out post #6 once more

##\ ##

cvvcv modified.png

Giving it away, eh ?

We don't need a function to draw an approximate shape. :smile:
What is important to me is that the graph helps you understand what is approximately happening to the values of the velocity as time goes by.
Re-visit post #12 above: dv/dt is the slope of ...?

rudransh verma said:
Here is a period of acceleration followed by an equal period of deceleration depicted on an acceleration versus time graph.
1643023847638.png

You can see that the area "under" this curve is zero.

jbriggs444 said:
Here is a period of acceleration followed by an equal period of deceleration depicted on an acceleration versus time graph.
View attachment 295941
You can see that the area "under" this curve is zero.

Attachments

• 1643023847638.jpg
    1643023847638.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 63
I see that you have produced a graph. What are you graphing (what versus what) and what is it intended to depict?

Possibly it is acceleration versus time and you have answered your own request by producing a graph depicting an acceleration followed by an equal period of deceleration.

jbriggs444 said:
I see that you have produced a graph. What are you graphing (what versus what) and what is it intended to depict?
I am trying to understand that in OP graph and this graph that the acceleration is first increasing then decreasing. I am unable to understand what does it do to velocity? Is velocity increasing at a rate and then increasing at a lower rate but not getting deaccelerated?
Similarly in above graph first the acceleeration is constant then decreasing then zero and then its -ve.:headbang:

rudransh verma said:
I am trying to understand that in OP graph and this graph that the acceleration is first increasing then decreasing.
In the graph in the OP, acceleration is first increasing and then decreasing.

In the graph you most recently posted, acceleration is first positive and constant then positive and decreasing. It becomes negative and then remains negative and constant.

In the graph that I posted, acceleration is first positive and constant. It then changes discontinuously and becomes negative and constant.

Those three situations are all different. The three graphs look different.
rudransh verma said:
I am unable to understand what does it do to velocity? Is velocity increasing at a rate and then increasing at a lower rate but not getting deaccelerated?
While acceleration is positive, velocity becomes more positive.
While acceleration is negative, velocity becomes more negative.

• Informative
Likes rudransh verma
jbriggs444 said:
While acceleration is positive, velocity becomes more positive.
While acceleration is negative, velocity becomes more negative.
Yeah. But when acceleration becomes less positive then the rate of change of velocity in positive direction decreases. For example The velocity of a car will increase continuously but its just that it will take more time. At some point the acceleration will become zero so no increase in velocity and constant v. After that as the -a appears with + direction of displacement deacceleration starts, cars speed decreases.
Right

Likes jbriggs444

1. What is 1D motion?

1D motion refers to motion that occurs in a straight line, with no change in direction. This can be represented on a graph by plotting distance or position on the x-axis and time on the y-axis.

2. How is 1D motion represented on a graph?

1D motion is typically represented on a graph by plotting distance or position on the x-axis and time on the y-axis. The resulting line on the graph shows the change in position over time, with the slope of the line representing the velocity of the object.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed refers to the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity refers to the rate at which an object is moving in a specific direction. In 1D motion, velocity can be represented by the slope of the distance-time graph, while speed can be calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken.

4. How can I calculate acceleration from a 1D motion graph?

Acceleration can be calculated from a 1D motion graph by finding the slope of the velocity-time graph. The steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration. Alternatively, acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

5. What is the significance of the area under a 1D motion graph?

The area under a 1D motion graph represents the displacement or change in position of an object. This can be calculated by finding the area of the shape formed by the graph and the x-axis. The direction of the displacement can be determined by the sign of the area (positive for displacement in the positive direction, negative for displacement in the negative direction).