Graph Theory: Does a Graph Have Cardinality?

In summary, a graph is defined as an object containing a Vertex Set and an Edge Set. The cardinality of a graph is customarily defined as the cardinality of its set of vertices, not the union of its two sets. This can be confusing since a graph is technically not a single set, but rather a pair of sets. Some people may think of a graph as a single set, but this is not the traditional definition.
Charles Stark
So as I was beginning to read through my Graph Theory textbook I had a burning question I wanted to get some perspective on.

So a Graph is defined as an object containing a Vertex Set and an Edge Set,

v = # of elements in the vertex set and e = # of elements in the Edge Set (if any)

Would this mean that |g| = v + e = cardinality of the graph?

Abstract thinking is strange to me sometimes and its weird to think of a graph technically having cardinality.

Physics news on Phys.org
Charles Stark said:
Would this mean that |g| = v + e = cardinality of the graph?

If a graph were a single set expressed as the union of two sets, you could infer that "cardinality of the graph" was the cardinality of that single set. However a graph is defined to have a pair of sets, vertices and edges. It is not defined as the union of those two sets. So if we want to talk about the "cardinality of a graph" we must create a special definition for it.

These folks say that the cardinality of a graph is customarily defined as the cardinality of its set of vertices:
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/442843/a-cardinality-of-a-graph

Likes Charles Stark
Ah ha! I was thinking of a graph as a set containing two sets. Thank you for the clarification!

1. What is the definition of a graph in graph theory?

A graph is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of vertices and a set of edges connecting these vertices. It is used to model relationships and connections between objects or entities.

2. What is the cardinality of a graph?

The cardinality of a graph refers to the number of vertices or edges in the graph. It is also known as the size or order of the graph.

3. How is the cardinality of a graph calculated?

The cardinality of a graph can be calculated by counting the number of vertices or edges in the graph. It can also be calculated using mathematical formulas such as the handshaking lemma or the degree sum formula.

4. Can a graph have infinite cardinality?

Yes, a graph can have infinite cardinality. For example, a graph representing the set of all real numbers would have infinite cardinality as there are infinitely many real numbers.

5. How does the cardinality of a graph affect its properties?

The cardinality of a graph can affect its properties in various ways. For example, a graph with a high cardinality may have a higher degree of connectivity or a higher probability of containing cycles. Additionally, the cardinality can also impact the complexity of algorithms used to analyze the graph.