1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph uncertainty

1. Mar 1, 2010 #1
    If you have several data points, each with a small uncertainty in the y-direction, and you want to find the uncertainty in the gradient and the uncertainty in the intercepts of the line of best fit, how would you go about doing that?

*I know with many points you would have to do something with regression, but could the simple, 2-data point case also be explained?

Here's what I'm thinking so far for the 2-data point case, can someone please tell me if i'm right:

Equation of the line, including uncertainties:

[tex]y -(y_0 \pm U(y_0)) = \frac{y_1 \pm U(y_1) - (y_0 \pm U(y_0))}{x_1 - x_0}(x - x_0)[/tex]

So you would eventually get two separate "uncertainty" bits, one in the gradient and the other in the constant term.

[tex]y = (m \pm U(m))x + C \pm U(C)[/tex]

Now do you just let 'y' or 'x' equal 0 and solve?

Thanks so much

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2010 #2
    Wouldn't the best fit line for just two data points points, regardless of the uncertainties in the two points' y values, be a line through the two points themselves since their y values would necessarily be centered in the y error range? Therefore, wouldn't the gradient just be the slope of the line through the two points?

4. Mar 1, 2010 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook