Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphene questions

1. Apr 23, 2016 #1
    Hi, I haven't had any chemistry exposure for over a decade, (I have some semi-conductor and quantum mechanics experience though) I was wondering:
    (to my vague 'knowledge') If graphite is just made of many overlapped graphene sheets, then why isn't graphite conductive?
    Also, if graphene is a "2D material", than how can we actually build out of it in 3 dimensions? (wouldn't that just be similar to graphite, but with larger sheets?)
    Or does this '2D' structure just mean that applications of graphene are just going to be deposited on existing substrates in use? Or will it be a stand-alone material?
    Thanks, (diagrams welcome)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What makes you think graphite is not conductive?

... 1. 2D objects fit into 3 dimensions just fine, what is the problem?
    ... 2. Graphine is 2D in the same way as a sheet of paper is 2D: i.e. actually a 3D material.

Here is how to make graphine:
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25442-make-graphene-in-your-kitchen-with-soap-and-a-blender/

4. Apr 26, 2016 #3
    Thanks for the reply Simon (I've been meaning to get back to the other threads that I started earlier this year, and I will very soon).

Ah, I don't know why I thought it wasn't conductive.

Yeah, but it's one atom thick, how can I build a car chassis out of it? What distinguishes it from graphite? can you overlay single layers on top of each other and have them stick?

(interesting article)

Thanks

5. Apr 27, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

From wikipedia:
    Graphite's high thermal stability and electrical conductivity facilitate its widespread use as electrodes...

You wouldn't. Graphine has utility in very small structures... wikipedia has an article on that too.
    Graphite is the name for a chunk of rock made out of graphine.
    Kinda - then you'd have graphite.
    Two sheets of graphene slip over each other.

All this is available for the googling though.
    The best use of this site is for helping you understand sources you have found by other means.

6. Apr 28, 2016 #5
    Funny that people thought it couldn't exist in that state, yet graphite is a ready made naturally occurring example.
    I wasn't second guessing you, I was just saying that I had an incorrect preconception.
    Yeah ok, I had just heard talk about application in aircrafts etc.
    Yeah, you're right. You're a good bloke; thanks for your help. (no need to reply to this)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted