Graphene: Questions from a Non-Chemist

In summary, graphite is not conductive because it is just made of many overlapped graphene sheets. It can be built into a 3D structure just like graphene, but it is one atom thick.
tim9000
Hi, I haven't had any chemistry exposure for over a decade, (I have some semi-conductor and quantum mechanics experience though) I was wondering:
(to my vague 'knowledge') If graphite is just made of many overlapped graphene sheets, then why isn't graphite conductive?
Also, if graphene is a "2D material", than how can we actually build out of it in 3 dimensions? (wouldn't that just be similar to graphite, but with larger sheets?)
Or does this '2D' structure just mean that applications of graphene are just going to be deposited on existing substrates in use? Or will it be a stand-alone material?
Thanks, (diagrams welcome)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If graphite is just made of many overlapped graphene sheets, then why isn't graphite conductive?
What makes you think graphite is not conductive?

...if graphene is a "2D material", than how can we actually build out of it in 3 dimensions
... 1. 2D objects fit into 3 dimensions just fine, what is the problem?
... 2. Graphine is 2D in the same way as a sheet of paper is 2D: i.e. actually a 3D material.

Here is how to make graphine:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25442-make-graphene-in-your-kitchen-with-soap-and-a-blender/

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Simon Bridge said:
What makes you think graphite is not conductive?... 1. 2D objects fit into 3 dimensions just fine, what is the problem?
... 2. Graphine is 2D in the same way as a sheet of paper is 2D: i.e. actually a 3D material.

Here is how to make graphine:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25442-make-graphene-in-your-kitchen-with-soap-and-a-blender/
Thanks for the reply Simon (I've been meaning to get back to the other threads that I started earlier this year, and I will very soon).

Ah, I don't know why I thought it wasn't conductive.

Yeah, but it's one atom thick, how can I build a car chassis out of it? What distinguishes it from graphite? can you overlay single layers on top of each other and have them stick?

(interesting article)

Thanks

tim9000 said:
...I thought it [graphite] wasn't conductive.
From wikipedia:
Graphite's high thermal stability and electrical conductivity facilitate its widespread use as electrodes...

Yeah, but [graphine]'s one atom thick, how can I build a car chassis out of it?
You wouldn't. Graphine has utility in very small structures... wikipedia has an article on that too.
What distinguishes it from graphite?
Graphite is the name for a chunk of rock made out of graphine.
can you overlay single layers on top of each other and have them stick?
Kinda - then you'd have graphite.
Two sheets of graphene slip over each other.

All this is available for the googling though.
The best use of this site is for helping you understand sources you have found by other means.

Funny that people thought it couldn't exist in that state, yet graphite is a ready made naturally occurring example.
Simon Bridge said:
Graphite's high thermal stability and electrical conductivity facilitate its widespread use as electrodes
I wasn't second guessing you, I was just saying that I had an incorrect preconception.
Simon Bridge said:
very small structures
Yeah ok, I had just heard talk about application in aircrafts etc.
Simon Bridge said:
The best use of this site is for helping you understand sources you have found by other means.
Yeah, you're right. You're a good bloke; thanks for your help. (no need to reply to this)

What is graphene?

Graphene is a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice pattern. It is the thinnest material known to exist and has many unique properties, such as being the strongest material ever measured and having excellent electrical and thermal conductivity.

How is graphene made?

Graphene can be made through several methods, such as mechanical exfoliation, chemical vapor deposition, and epitaxial growth. These methods involve either separating graphene layers from graphite or growing graphene on a substrate using a gas or liquid precursor.

What are the potential applications of graphene?

Graphene has a wide range of potential applications in various industries, including electronics, energy, biomedical, and aerospace. Its exceptional properties make it ideal for use in transistors, batteries, sensors, and even in water filtration systems.

What are the challenges in using graphene?

While graphene has many promising properties, there are still challenges in using it in practical applications. One of the main challenges is the difficulty in producing large quantities of high-quality graphene at a low cost. Additionally, there are still questions about its long-term stability and potential health and environmental impacts.

How does graphene compare to other materials?

Graphene has several advantages over other materials, such as its strength, conductivity, and flexibility. However, it also has limitations, such as its lack of a bandgap, which makes it unsuitable for certain electronic applications. Its properties also vary depending on its production method, so it may not always be the best choice for a particular application.