Graphical Analysis removing y-intercept

• Thread starter member 392791
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation is about removing the y-intercept from a linear fit in order to reduce the error percentage. The suggestion is to use software to analyze and estimate the intercept value, then subtract it from all y-values and re-run the regression with the new values.
member 392791
Hello, I am trying to remove the y-intercept from my linear fit with this software since my equation is y=mx and NOT y=mx+b, so I need to figure out how to remove the y-intercept so my data will have a smaller % error, because the intercept makes the slope larger than it should be. Any ideas how to do this? (yes I checked online, tutorial, help menu, etc)!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do an analysis that gives a parameter estimate for the intercept for a simple linear regression of y against x, and then subtract that value from all the y-values and re-do the regression with these new ones.

1. What is graphical analysis?

Graphical analysis is a method used in scientific research to visually analyze data and relationships between variables. It involves creating graphs and charts to display data in a clear and concise manner.

2. Why is it important to remove the y-intercept in graphical analysis?

In some cases, the y-intercept in a graph can skew the data and make it difficult to accurately interpret the relationship between variables. By removing the y-intercept, the focus is solely on the slope of the graph, which can provide more meaningful information.

3. How do you remove the y-intercept in graphical analysis?

To remove the y-intercept, you can use a method called "centering" where you subtract the mean of the y-values from each data point. This shifts the y-intercept to the origin, resulting in a graph with no y-intercept.

4. When should I remove the y-intercept in graphical analysis?

It is recommended to remove the y-intercept when the data is linear and there is a clear relationship between the variables. However, if the data is not linear or the y-intercept is meaningful, it may be more appropriate to leave it in the graph.

5. Are there any limitations to removing the y-intercept in graphical analysis?

Yes, removing the y-intercept can alter the interpretation of the data and may not accurately represent the relationship between variables. It should be used with caution and only when necessary.