1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing calc help

1. May 22, 2005 #1
    how do u type cos^2 x = 2 into a graphing calc because when ever use push cos it puts the ( so u cant a ^2 before it.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2005 #2
    Do you know what a function squared means? It means the function times itself..
  4. May 22, 2005 #3
    ya i know, but i just want to know how to solve cos^2 x = 2 but i dont know how
  5. May 22, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Unfortunately your calculator isn't going to think for you.

The direct way (what I would consider the "mathematical" way) is to solve the equation yourself then use your calculator to get the number.

You have cos2x= 2. That means two things have been done to x: take the cosine and then square. To solve the equation, you have to 'back out'- do the opposite of what has been done: the opposite of squareing is square root- from
    cos2x= 2 you get [tex]cos(x)= \sqrt{2}[/tex]. BUT you also have to know that a negative number, squared, is a positive number [tex]cos x= -\sqrt{2}[/tex] is also a possibility. Now, the "inverse" of cosine in arccos or cos-1 so from [tex]cos x= \sqrt{2}[/tex] you get [tex]x= cos^{-1}(\sqrt{x}): but, again, there are many solutions to the equation. If you have really learned these functions, you could work out a formula for all solutions.

Another way to use a graphing calculator to solve an equation like this is to graph two functions: y= cos2 x and y= 2. The "zoom" into the places where the two graphs cross. Of course, that wont give you a formula that enables you to writed down all solutions but it might let you pass the course without actually having to learn any mathematics!
  6. May 22, 2005 #5
    Its a shame the overuse of calculators. I remember in high school people who would reach for their calculator when asked for the answer to 12+9.
  7. May 22, 2005 #6
    im sry if you think im not trying but im not taking a trig course im just in algebra 2 and my teacher wanted to touch on trig.
    But with the calc you said to type in y= cos^2 x but i dont know to do that with my ti 83+ because when i push the cos button in outputs cos( so i cant put a ^2
  8. May 22, 2005 #7
    I already told you how to solve this problem.

Hit the y-function button on the top left. Then in the first line press the cos button, in parenthesis enter x, and close the parentheses. Then put ^2 outside.
    Alternatively you could enter cos(x)*cos(x) , which equals cos^2(x) = cos(x)^2
  9. May 22, 2005 #8
    but i thought

cos(x)^2 doesnt equal cos^2 (x)
  10. May 22, 2005 #9
    [tex] cos^2(x) = cos(x)^2 = cos(x)cos(x) \neq cos(x^2) [/tex]
  11. May 22, 2005 #10
    ok thxs

so i want to solve this for x over [tex][-2pi, 2pi][/tex]
    [tex] cot(x)cos^2(x) = 2 cot(x) [/tex]

[tex] cos^2(x) = 2 [/tex]

[tex]x= cos^{-1}(\sqrt{2}): [/tex]

but how do i find all of the solution i am looking for from there
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?