Graph Conics: Center, Verticies, Foci, Asymptote, Directrix

In summary, the student was unable to solve the homework equation and was not sure where to go from there. He was told tomorrow to try to solve it in standard form.
duki

Homework Statement

Graph the following. Include center, verticies, foci, asymptote, and directrix as appropriate.

Homework Equations

[tex]x^2 + 8y - 2x = 7[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have:

V = (1, -7/8)
P = -2
X = -1

I have no clue where to go from here, or if I'm even right.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Don't you have to decide what kind of conic it is first? Complete the square in x and try to write it in some kind of normal form.

when i completed the square i got [tex](x-1)^2 = 8(-y+\frac{7}{8})[/tex]

I think you mean (x-1)^2=8*(1-y). Try that once more. It's a parabola, isn't it?

why would it be 8(y-1) ? What happened to the 7?
How do you tell that it's a parabola? Because of the (x-1)^2?

Yes, because it's quadratic in x and linear in y. The 7 changed to an 8 when you added the 1 to both sides to complete the square. You did do that, right?

oh nooes. I didn't.

ok i got it. Now what?

Ok, now where is the vertex? And if you tell me what X and P are supposed to be I might be able to help you with those. Tomorrow. zzzzzzzzzzz.

Ok thanks for all of your help!

I got:

v = (1, 1)
p = 2

So does that look right? If so, where do I go from here?

really I think my problem is putting the initial equation in the [tex]\frac{(y-y0)^2}{a^2}-\frac{(x-x0)^2}{b^2}[/tex]

Mistake. I know it's a parabola because it's in the form [tex](x-1)^2=8(1-y)[/tex]. And I know p is 2 and the vertex is at (1,1). But how do I know which direction from V to go two units? Up or down? Left or right?

Also how do I find the asymptote?

You never told me what P is. Is it the distance from the vertex to the focus? Does a parabola have any asymptotes?

P = 2 right?
Right now I have:

[tex]v=(1,1)[/tex]
[tex]p=2[/tex]
[tex]F=(1,3)[/tex]
[tex]Directrix=(1,-2)[/tex]

Does that look right?

You've got the vertex. Now does the parabola go up or down from the vertex? As x gets large does y increase to +infinity or -infinity? And the directrix is a line, not a point.

the parabola opens up.

duki said:
the parabola opens up.

I disagree. Why do you think so?

oh wait. since it's (x-1)^2 that means it goes down right?

duki said:
oh wait. since it's (x-1)^2 that means it goes down right?

You tell me. If x=101, what kind of number is y?

a - number. I got -1249

Opens up or down?

opens down

Right. So where are the focus and directrix relative to the vertex? And don't give me a point for the directrix. Give me the equation for the line.

the Vertex is (1,1) and the Directrix is y= -2 ?

wait! Directrix is y= 3 and the Focus is (1,-1)?

Is that just a random guess? It sure doesn't show a lot of thought. If it opens down then the directrix is above the vertex and the focus is below. Come on. Look at a picture of a parabola.

duki said:
wait! Directrix is y= 3 and the Focus is (1,-1)?

Much better.

Ok grooovy. So are there no asymptotes? Is that only with a hyperbola?

Yes. The only conics that have asymptotes are hyperbolae.

awesome. so I'm done with this one! Now I can get working on 1b) ;) Thanks for your help!I posted a thread about that one if you get a chance. I'm having a hard time getting it into standard form

1. What is the center of a conic?

The center of a conic is the point that is equidistant from all points on the curve. It is the midpoint of the major axis for ellipses and hyperbolas, and the vertex for parabolas.

2. How do you find the vertices of a conic?

The vertices of a conic can be found by first identifying the center of the conic. For ellipses and hyperbolas, the vertices are located at the endpoints of the major axis. For parabolas, the vertex is the point where the parabola intersects the axis of symmetry.

3. What are the foci of a conic?

The foci of a conic are two points that are located on the major axis and are equidistant from the center. For ellipses, the foci are located inside the curve, while for hyperbolas, the foci are located outside the curve.

4. What is an asymptote in a conic?

An asymptote is a line that a curve approaches but never touches. It can be thought of as the "limit" of the curve. For hyperbolas, there are two asymptotes, while for parabolas and ellipses, there are none.

5. How do you determine the directrix of a conic?

The directrix of a conic is a line that is perpendicular to the axis of symmetry and is located at a distance equal to the distance between the focus and the vertex. For parabolas, the directrix is a horizontal line, while for ellipses and hyperbolas, the directrix is a vertical line.