1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing in spherical coordinates

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The question involves a triple integral, but I can figure that out once I know what this looks like visually. It is the graph of ρ = 1 + cos(∅)
    How exactly would I graph this?

2. Relevant equations

x = ρ * sin(∅) * cos(θ)
    y = [itex]\rho[/itex] * sin(∅) * sin(θ)
    z = ρ * cos(∅)

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't really know where to start. I tried converting to Cartesian because it wasn't something that was easy to visualize for me in spherical, but that was a mess. Would it be a torus? I only vaguely know what that is. I apologize, we just learned this stuff today! I want to make sure that I am solid on it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, as you have discovered, you aren't going to get a nice simple xyz equation from which you will recognize the graph. One thing that you know for sure is that since there is no [itex]\theta[/itex] in the equation it is a surface of revolution around the z axis. So its cross section in, for example, the yz plane would tell you the shape.

Think about what the polar coordinate graph of r = 1 + cos(θ) would look like. Do you know how you would graph that curve? Do you know what kind of curve it is?

The reason I am asking you that is, when you look at the trace of your surface in the yz plane the [itex]\rho,\phi[/itex] pair look just like polar coordinates off the z axis. So if you can figure out the shape of the polar curve, just rotate it up on the z axis and revolve it to get your surface. Come back if you have more questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook