How to Graph the Inverse of a Function on a TI-84PlusCE?

• Thread starter Witcher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, the person was trying to graph an equation on their calculator and found it to be difficult. They used the "DrawInv" function to make the graph and it worked.
Witcher
Homework Statement
I just need help figuring out how to graph an equation on my calculator.

The hard part is getting y cubed
Relevant Equations
Y^3=x
What goes here?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 179
Physics news on Phys.org
Witcher said:
Homework Statement:: I just need help figuring out how to graph an equation on my calculator.

The hard part is getting y cubed
Homework Equations:: Y^3=x

What goes here?
Take the cube root of both sides of the equation.

Mark44 said:
Take the cube root of both sides of the equation.
Alternative to @Mark44 's fine suggestion:
You could use the "DrawInv" function.
To do this, suppose you have Y1=X^3 as a function to be graphed.
Go to the main screen.
To graph the in verse of Y1, you will need to have your display screen show: "DrawInv Y1".
If you know how to do this, fine. Press "ENTER".

Else:
Go to the "DRAW" menu: (2nd - PRGM) and pick item 8, which is DrawInv .​
Next: Look under "VARS", you need the ""Y-VARS" option. The first option under that is "Function ... ", which you should choose, then click on "Y1". (or whatever YN is relevant)​
The main screen should show:​
DrawInv Y1
Press "ENTER".​

This will give the graph of X = Y3.
It may also show the graph of Y = X3, depending upon whether or not Y1=X^3 is activated in the list of functions to be graphed.

Likes Witcher
SammyS said:
Alternative to @Mark44 's fine suggestion:
You could use the "DrawInv" function.
To do this, suppose you have Y1=X^3 as a function to be graphed.
Go to the main screen.
To graph the in verse of Y1, you will need to have your display screen show: "DrawInv Y1".
If you know how to do this, fine. Press "ENTER".

Else:
Go to the "DRAW" menu: (2nd - PRGM) and pick item 8, which is DrawInv .​
Next: Look under "VARS", you need the ""Y-VARS" option. The first option under that is "Function ... ", which you should choose, then click on "Y1". (or whatever YN is relevant)​
The main screen should show:​
DrawInv Y1
Press "ENTER".​

This will give the graph of X = Y3.
It may also show the graph of Y = X3, depending upon whether or not Y1=X^3 is activated in the list of functions to be graphed.

Thank you so much! This worked! Mind if i pm you?

1. How do I graph a function on a TI-84PlusCE calculator?

To graph a function on a TI-84PlusCE calculator, follow these steps:1. Press the "Y=" button on the calculator.2. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the "Y=" editor.3. Enter the function using the "X" variable and any other necessary operations.4. Press the "GRAPH" button to view the graph of the function.

2. Can I graph multiple functions on the same screen?

Yes, you can graph multiple functions on the same screen on a TI-84PlusCE calculator. To do so, follow these steps:1. Press the "Y=" button on the calculator.2. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the "Y=" editor.3. Enter each function using the "X" variable and any other necessary operations.4. Press the "GRAPH" button to view the graphs of all the functions on the same screen.

3. How do I adjust the window settings for better viewing of a graph?

To adjust the window settings on a TI-84PlusCE calculator, follow these steps:1. Press the "WINDOW" button on the calculator.2. Use the arrow keys to adjust the values for Xmin, Xmax, Ymin, and Ymax.3. Press the "ZOOM" button and select a zoom option to view the updated graph.

4. How can I find the intersection points of two graphs on a TI-84PlusCE calculator?

To find the intersection points of two graphs on a TI-84PlusCE calculator, follow these steps:1. Graph both functions on the same screen.2. Press the "2nd" button followed by the "TRACE" button to access the "CALC" menu.3. Select "intersect" from the menu.4. Use the arrow keys to move the cursor to the first graph and press enter.5. Use the arrow keys again to move the cursor to the second graph and press enter.6. The calculator will display the coordinates of the intersection points.

5. Can I save and view my graphs later on a TI-84PlusCE calculator?

Yes, you can save and view your graphs later on a TI-84PlusCE calculator by following these steps:1. Press the "PRGM" button on the calculator.2. Select "NEW" and give your program a name.3. Press the "Y=" button and enter the function you want to graph.4. Press the "GRAPH" button to view the graph.5. Press the "2nd" button followed by "PRGM" to access the "EXEC" option.6. Select your saved program and press enter to view the graph again.