1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing potential & kinetic energy of an oscillating particle

1. May 29, 2009 #1
    Graphing potential & kinetic energy of an oscillating particle!!!!

1. A particle oscillates back and forth in a frictionless bowl whose height is given by h(x) = 0.22x2 where h and x are meters. (a) Show graphically how the potential and kinetic energies of the particle vary with x.

2. I completed the (b) and (c) part of the problem, but I'm not sure as to how I graph to illustrate how the potential nad kinetic energies of the particle vary with x. Any assitance would be very much appreciated!

3. I really don't even know where to start or how to start, and how I would label my axis, etc. So if anybody can lead me in the right direction, that would be really great, becuase I'm lost!

I know that the particle has maximum kinetic energy at the bottom of the bowl in which h=0 and x=0 and that IF the maximum speed of the particle was 0.4ms-1, x=0.19 and -0.19 and h=0.008. Will this information help me in drawing the graph? Because this is what I had to determine for parts (b) and (c): "(b) Where does the particle have maximum kinetic energy? (c) If the maximum speed of the particle is 0.4 ms-1, find the x-coordinates at which the particle has maximum potential energy"

And I also know that U = mgh and if you had an h(x), you can graph U(x)...but how? That I don't know! So please please please lend your assitance!!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2009 #2
    Re: Graphing potential & kinetic energy of an oscillating particle!!!!

h(x) = 0.22x2 (where x2 = x squared)
    As x increases in the postive and negative direction, h increases exponentially. For instance, here is a small table I constructed:
    x h
    -10 22
    -5 5.5
    -3 1.98
    0 0
    3 1.98
    5 5.5
    10 22
    *If plotted, it would look like a parabola

4. May 30, 2009 #3
    Re: Graphing potential & kinetic energy of an oscillating particle!!!!

Put the x axis, well, x, and the y axis, the energy (J).

U know potential energy is: W_p(x) = mgh(x)=mg.0.22x^2
    Draw that graph, it's a parabola :D

The sum of potential and kinetic energy is constant (I call it W), u should be able to find W using the information about the max speed. Then kinetic energy is:

W_k(x) = W - W_p(x).

Now it's even easier to draw the graph of W_k(x). It's the reflection of the graph of the W_p(x) through a horizontal line.

Do some math to find some special point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook