Graphing potential & kinetic energy of an oscillating particle

In summary, the particle has maximum kinetic energy at the bottom of the bowl, and its potential energy increases exponentially as x increases in the positive and negative directions.
sousou_88
Graphing potential & kinetic energy of an oscillating particle!

1. A particle oscillates back and forth in a frictionless bowl whose height is given by h(x) = 0.22x2 where h and x are meters. (a) Show graphically how the potential and kinetic energies of the particle vary with x.

2. I completed the (b) and (c) part of the problem, but I'm not sure as to how I graph to illustrate how the potential nad kinetic energies of the particle vary with x. Any assitance would be very much appreciated!

3. I really don't even know where to start or how to start, and how I would label my axis, etc. So if anybody can lead me in the right direction, that would be really great, becuase I'm lost!

I know that the particle has maximum kinetic energy at the bottom of the bowl in which h=0 and x=0 and that IF the maximum speed of the particle was 0.4ms-1, x=0.19 and -0.19 and h=0.008. Will this information help me in drawing the graph? Because this is what I had to determine for parts (b) and (c): "(b) Where does the particle have maximum kinetic energy? (c) If the maximum speed of the particle is 0.4 ms-1, find the x-coordinates at which the particle has maximum potential energy"

And I also know that U = mgh and if you had an h(x), you can graph U(x)...but how? That I don't know! So please please please lend your assitance!

Physics news on Phys.org

h(x) = 0.22x2 (where x2 = x squared)
As x increases in the postive and negative direction, h increases exponentially. For instance, here is a small table I constructed:
x h
-10 22
-5 5.5
-3 1.98
0 0
3 1.98
5 5.5
10 22
*If plotted, it would look like a parabola

Put the x axis, well, x, and the y axis, the energy (J).

U know potential energy is: W_p(x) = mgh(x)=mg.0.22x^2
Draw that graph, it's a parabola :D

The sum of potential and kinetic energy is constant (I call it W), u should be able to find W using the information about the max speed. Then kinetic energy is:

W_k(x) = W - W_p(x).

Now it's even easier to draw the graph of W_k(x). It's the reflection of the graph of the W_p(x) through a horizontal line.

Do some math to find some special point.

1. What is potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How do you graph potential and kinetic energy of an oscillating particle?

To graph the potential and kinetic energy of an oscillating particle, you need to plot the potential energy as a function of displacement and the kinetic energy as a function of time. The resulting graph will show the oscillations between potential and kinetic energy.

3. What is an oscillating particle?

An oscillating particle is a particle that moves back and forth around a fixed point, constantly changing its position and velocity.

4. What factors affect the potential and kinetic energy of an oscillating particle?

The potential and kinetic energy of an oscillating particle are affected by its mass, position, velocity, and any external forces acting on the particle.

5. How does the graph of potential and kinetic energy change over time for an oscillating particle?

The graph of potential and kinetic energy for an oscillating particle will show a sinusoidal wave, with the potential energy being at its maximum when the kinetic energy is at its minimum, and vice versa. As the particle continues to oscillate, the graph will repeat this pattern.