Graphing Function f(x)= (x-1)^3(x+1)^2(x+3): X and Y Intercepts & Helpful Tips

In summary, to graph the function f(x)= (x-1)^3(x+1)^2(x+3), first determine the x and y intercepts by substituting an x value into the function's formula. The graph will be similar to y=x^6, but will have some wiggles due to the different zeroes. The multiplicity of the zeroes can give you information about the behavior of the graph near those points. Knowing about derivatives can also be useful, but it may not be necessary for graphing this function.
1irishman

Homework Statement

Graph the function f(x)= (x-1)^3(x+1)^2(x+3) and show any x and y intercepts
I don't understand how to determine the y values to correctly draw the graph. Help?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x=1 is a zero 3 times
x=-1 is a zero 2 times
x=-3 is a zero 1 time
I got a y-intercept of (0,2)

Physics news on Phys.org
To get the y values, just substitute an x value into the function's formula. The y-intercept is f(0), which BTW isn't 2.

f(0) = (0 - 1)^3 * (0 + 1)^2 * (0 + 3) = ?

Overall (i.e., for large x or for very negative x), the graph looks a lot like y = x^6, which looks similar to the graph of y = x^2. Because of the different zeroes, though, the graph will wiggle around some for values of x that are closer to zero.

The multiplicity of the zeroes gives you some useful information.

Near x = 1, the graph looks like y = ax^3. The sign of a can be determined by the other factors. So f(x) is roughly 4*4*(x - 1)^3 for x close to 1.
You can do the same for the other two factors to determine whether the graph crosses the x-axis at the zero or just dips down (or up) there.

Hope that helps.

Also, just by looking at the function you can guess whether the leading term will be positive and negative. This, combined with the degree of the polynomial (degree of 6 as Mark44 said) will help you determine the end behavior of the polynomial.

This is why derivatives are useful. The function, as well as its first and second derivative, tell you all you need to know. Of course, getting your equation into an easily differentiable form looks tedious...

Char. Limit said:
This is why derivatives are useful. The function, as well as its first and second derivative, tell you all you need to know. Of course, getting your equation into an easily differentiable form looks tedious...
I'm guessing the OP doesn't know about derivatives as he posted this question in the precalculus forum.

In this case, just analyzing the end behavior and the multiplicities of the zeros is enough to get you the general shape of the graph.

What is the function f(x)?

The function f(x) is a polynomial function that can be represented as f(x) = (x-1)^3(x+1)^2(x+3).

What are the X and Y intercepts of the function?

The X-intercepts are the values of x where the function crosses the x-axis, and the Y-intercepts are the values of y where the function crosses the y-axis. To find the X-intercepts, set the function equal to zero and solve for x. To find the Y-intercepts, plug in x=0 into the function and solve for y.

How can I graph the function f(x)?

To graph the function f(x), plot the X and Y intercepts on a coordinate plane and connect them with a smooth curve. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to plot the points and visualize the graph.

What are some helpful tips for graphing polynomial functions?

When graphing polynomial functions, it is important to consider the degree of the function, the leading coefficient, and the behavior of the function as x approaches positive and negative infinity. Additionally, plotting more points can help accurately represent the shape of the graph.

How can I use the graph of f(x) to analyze the behavior of the function?

The graph of f(x) can provide information about the domain, range, increasing and decreasing intervals, and maximum and minimum points of the function. It can also help identify any asymptotes or symmetry in the function.