Graphing velocity, acceleration, and position

In summary, the conversation discusses graphing velocity vs. time and clarifying the meaning of "time" as the independent variable. The x-value is time in all three graphs, while the y-value represents acceleration, velocity, and position. The person has not been taught how to draw graphs and may need to study line graphs before tackling this exercise. Additional resources are provided for further understanding.
banderson9
Homework Statement
I need help graphing velocity position and time on three different graphs when obstruction is present
Relevant Equations
P1. A driver is riding along at the steady speed of 25 m/s (90 km/h) when she notices an obstruction in the road
ahead. After a reaction time of 2 s, she applies the brakes to decelerate at the rate of 2.5 m/s2
im not sure where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by drawing the velocity vs. time first. I am not sure what you mean by graphing "time". That is normally the independent variable. Please clarify.

im still not understanding. I understand that speed is d/t , but which time am i using; also i understand v=xf-x0/tf-t0 but what is my x value

Attachments

• DIS01.pdf
    85.7 KB · Views: 69
banderson9 said:
im still not understanding. I understand that speed is d/t , but which time am i using; also i understand v=xf-x0/tf-t0 but what is my x value
Look at the three figures showing coordinate axes in the pdf file you attached. The x-value is time in all three. The y value is acceleration, velocity and position. Have you been taught how to draw graphs?

kuruman said:
Look at the three figures showing coordinate axes in the pdf file you attached. The x-value is time in all three. The y value is acceleration, velocity and position. Have you been taught how to draw graphs?
not yet we are given material before we are taught, to test knowledge so i am really confused

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction, while acceleration is a measure of the rate at which an object's velocity changes. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration tells us how quickly the object's velocity is changing, either by speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction.

2. How do you graph velocity, acceleration, and position?

To graph velocity, acceleration, and position, you will need to plot the values on a coordinate plane. Velocity is typically plotted on the y-axis, while time is plotted on the x-axis. Acceleration can also be plotted on the y-axis, or it can be represented by the slope of the velocity-time graph. Position is usually plotted on the y-axis, while distance or displacement is plotted on the x-axis.

3. What does a flat line on a velocity-time graph represent?

A flat line on a velocity-time graph represents a constant velocity. This means that the object is moving at a steady speed in a straight line, without changing direction or accelerating. The slope of a flat line is zero, indicating that there is no change in velocity over time.

4. How do you calculate average velocity from a position-time graph?

To calculate average velocity from a position-time graph, you will need to find the slope of the line connecting two points on the graph. The slope is equal to the change in position (displacement) divided by the change in time. This will give you the average velocity over that time interval.

5. What is the difference between instantaneous velocity and average velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time, while average velocity is the average of all the instantaneous velocities over a given time interval. In other words, instantaneous velocity tells us how fast an object is moving at a particular instant, while average velocity tells us the overall speed and direction of the object over a period of time.