Graph of y=x^z: Exploring the Unknown

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses the graph of y=x^z and the difficulties in visualizing it without a 3D graphing program. The function generates a surface rather than a curve and can be visualized using different values of z. However, the surface only exists for positive values of x, as it is not defined for negative values. When y is a non-integer, x^y does not exist on the real number line and results in imaginary numbers. The conversation also includes a discussion on sending a graph of z=x^y and its slices at different values of y, and the possibility of the curve jumping into the imaginary space as y changes from 2 to 3.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I don't have a 3D graphing program, so I'm trying to figure out the graph of y=x^z on paper.

y=x^2 forms a parabola while y=x^3 forms a ... other thing. There's got to be some sensical values to y as the exponent climbs through the values between them.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
This function generates a surface rather than a curve. You can imagine it by considering different values of z, for example 0, 1, 2. At z = 0, you have x^0 and hence y = 1. At z = 1, you have y = x and at z = 2, y = x^2. Geometrically speaking, the so called surface will be so that it has the these functions of y as cross sections at the respective values of z. It's pretty easy to visualize on the positive side of z, for z < 1, and for x > 1, the surface concave in respect of X axis. For x < 1, the surface is convex. For z > 1, it's the inverse.

I'm looking at a graph of z=x^y right now using 'Grapher' on the mac.

It's not an easy function to visualize by drawing. It's got a 1st order saddle point.

It's pretty cool in the region about the x-z axes intersect.

christianjb said:
I'm looking at a graph of z=x^y right now using 'Grapher' on the mac.

It's not an easy function to visualize by drawing. It's got a 1st order saddle point.

It's pretty cool in the region about the x-z axes intersect.
Mind sending me a screen grab?

DaveC426913 said:
Mind sending me a screen grab?

What's the easiest way to send it?

See if this works.

Attachments

• graphxy.jpg
    graphxy.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 439
Here's another view, and with contours.

You can see the saddle point quite clearly.

Attachments

• graph2.jpg
    graph2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
The best way would be that Dave pm's you his email, and then you send it the picture to him as an attachment.

Or upload it on Imageshack and post the link so we can all see it.

It does, though without labels I have little idea what the graph is showing. I'm presuming the x-axis runs top right to bottom left and the y-axis is vertical.

But if that graph were somewhere showing y=x^3, I would expect to see one of the cross sections symmetrical about (0,0) yet nowhere do I see any poiints below y=0

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
It does, though without labels I have little idea what the graph is showing. I'm presuming the x-axis runs top right to bottom left and the y-axis is vertical.

But if that graph were somewhere showing y=x^3, I would expect to see one of the cross sections symmetrical about (0,0) yet nowhere do I see any poiints below y=0

The function is z=x^y The axis going out of the page (up) is the z axis. The function is not defined for -ve values of x.

Edit: This may be a little confusing, but e.g. (-1.4)^1.99 is not a real number, whereas (-1.4)^2 is. Thus the surface only exists for x>0

Last edited:
christianjb said:
Edit: This may be a little confusing, but e.g. (-1.4)^1.99 is not a real number,
So is it imaginary?

In the green graph: +x is upper left + y points lower left, right?

Shouldn't the slice through y at y=2 manifest as a parabola? I'm just not seeing it.

Last edited:
Oh now I see it. At y=2, x<0 is not rendered on the graph.

So, when y is fractional does it create imaginary numbers?

Attachments

• PF070520z=y^x.gif
    PF070520z=y^x.gif
    28.9 KB · Views: 430
DaveC426913 said:
So is it imaginary?

In the green graph: +x is upper left + y points lower left, right?

Shouldn't the slice through y at y=2 manifest as a parabola? I'm just not seeing it.

No, you won't see it because x^y in the -ve x half is only real for integer values of y. It won't make a surface.

Again, for -ve values of x, x^2 exists, but x^1.999 doesn't (at least it's not real).

You will only see x^y for x>0.

DaveC426913 said:
Oh now I see it. At y=2, x<0 is not rendered on the graph.

So, when y is fractional does it create imaginary numbers?

Exactly. Try doing -4 ^ 1.9 on a calculator. It will return an error.

And, when y is any non integer, x is -ve, x^y does not exist on the real number line.

christianjb said:
Exactly. Try doing -4 ^ 1.9 on a calculator. It will return an error.

And, when y is any non integer, x is -ve, x^y does not exist on the real number line.
Right. This is actually what I'm after. My suspicion is that, as y changes from 2 to 3, the curve actually jumps from +z to -z - but since it's a continuum, that curve is going somewhere, and I think where it's going is into the imaginary space - as if, conceptually, the imaginary number space were a sort of "fourth dimension".

What is the equation for the graph of y=x^z?

The equation for the graph of y=x^z is a power function, where x is the base and z is the exponent. This means that as x increases, y will increase at a faster rate depending on the value of z.

What does the graph of y=x^z look like?

The graph of y=x^z can have different shapes depending on the value of z. For z=1, the graph will be a straight line passing through the origin. For z>1, the graph will increase rapidly as x increases. For z<1, the graph will increase at a slower rate compared to z=1.

What is the significance of the unknown variable z in the graph of y=x^z?

The unknown variable z in the graph of y=x^z represents the exponent, which determines the rate of change of the function. This allows us to explore how different values of z can affect the shape and behavior of the graph.

What are some real-life applications of the graph of y=x^z?

The graph of y=x^z has various applications in the fields of science, engineering, and economics. It can be used to model population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay. It can also be used in physics to represent the relationship between force and distance in a spring.

How can we manipulate the graph of y=x^z to observe its behavior?

We can manipulate the graph of y=x^z by changing the values of x and z. By varying x, we can see how the graph changes horizontally, and by changing z, we can observe the effect on the steepness of the graph. We can also use technology such as graphing calculators to graph y=x^z and observe its behavior in real-time.