1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grating Resolution

1. Sep 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Considering larger objects, a skyscraper has two tall antennae separated by 3 meters. Each antenna has one blue and one red light. You can resolve the two blue lights but not the red ones.

Assume that your pupils have a diameter = 2 mm at night, and that blue light's wavelength is 475 nm, while red light's wavelength is 650 nm.
    Approximately how far are you from the skyscraper? (Also assume that you have 'perfect vision' limited only by diffraction.)

Physics114HWB21_3S.gif

2. Relevant equations

θ=1.22λ/D

Δλ/λ=1/(mN)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the answer is 10km, but I don't know how to get that. I was trying to find a way to determine the resolution requirement, or something like that.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is a minimum angular separation that you can resolve two objects - it depends on the wavelength of the light and the diameter of the aperture. You should have some notes on this under "resolving power".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted