Gravitation and work problem

In summary: Thanks for your help.In summary, the problem involves two particles with masses M and m, initially at rest and infinitely separated. Their relative velocity at any instant can be found by treating the problem in the centre of mass system coordinates and using the reduced mass, kinetic energy, and work done in moving the masses. However, a sign error in work leads to a wrong answer and a negative radical, resulting in an imaginary relative velocity. A sanity check and attention to signs is necessary in problem-solving.
zorro

Homework Statement

2 particles of masses M and m are initially at rest and infinitely separated. When they move towards each other due to gravitational attraction, what is their relative velocity at any instant?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem may be treated in centre of mass system co-ordinates. Therefore,
reduced mass R= Mm/(M+m)

Kinetic energy = 0.5RVrel2

Work done in moving masses from infinite distance to a separation distance d can be found by integration.
W.D. = -GMm/d

Now by using Work-Energy theorem,
K.E.f - K.E.i = W.D

0.5RVrel2 - 0 = -GMm/d

Vrel = [-2G(M+m)/d]^1/2
but the answer is
[2G(M+m)/d]^1/2

Where am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

Using Work-Energy theorem, you can write
K.E.f - K.E.i = W.D = P.E.i - P.E.f

Thanks!

Abdul Quadeer said:
Vrel = [-2G(M+m)/d]^1/2

Where am I wrong?
<rant>
It's always a good idea to do a sanity check on your answer. Check your units, check your signs, create a somewhat simpler problem that should give approximately the correct answer, etc. You won't always have an answer book against which you can compare your result. Get in the habit of double-checking everything and you won't be lost when the answer book disappears.
</rant>

In this problem, G, M, m, and d are all positive quantities. That means your radical is negative, and that in turn means your relative velocity is imaginary. Now does an imaginary velocity make a bit of sense here? It does not of course, so that means you did something wrong.

Your mistake is a sign error in work. Work is just one of those things you just have to be careful about with respect to sign. Is positive work work that is done by the system or work that is done on the system? I can't tell you which one is right because both schemes are used.

D H said:
<rant>
It's always a good idea to do a sanity check on your answer. Check your units, check your signs, create a somewhat simpler problem that should give approximately the correct answer, etc. You won't always have an answer book against which you can compare your result. Get in the habit of double-checking everything and you won't be lost when the answer book disappears.
</rant>

Thanks for your advise. I will keep that in mind.

Is positive work work that is done by the system or work that is done on the system? I can't tell you which one is right because both schemes are used.

I know that the sign scheme for work done on the system (+ve) or by the system (-ve) is applied in the case of thermodynamics (gases). I never knew we could apply that rule here also.

1. What is gravitation?

Gravitation is a natural phenomenon by which objects with mass are attracted to one another.

2. How is gravitation related to work?

In physics, work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. Gravitation is a force, therefore it can do work on an object by causing it to move.

3. What is the formula for calculating work in a gravitation problem?

The formula for calculating work in a gravitation problem is W = -GMm/r, where W is the work done, G is the gravitational constant, M and m are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

4. How does distance affect the work done in a gravitation problem?

The work done in a gravitation problem is inversely proportional to the distance between the two objects. This means that as the distance increases, the work done decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can you give an example of a real-life gravitation and work problem?

One example of a real-life gravitation and work problem is the motion of a satellite around the Earth. The satellite is held in orbit by the Earth's gravitational force, and as the satellite moves closer to or further away from the Earth, work is done on it by the gravitational force.