Gravitational Effects on Atomic Clocks and Other Forces

In summary, while there is some experimental evidence to support the idea that gravity affects the rate at which atoms decay, there is still some doubt as to whether or not other forces are also affected.
jreelawg
I was thinking that as far as I know, an atomic clock, and a mechanical clock, or a tuning fork clock might be affected differently by gravitation and acceleration. Is there any experimental verification of this?

I'm trying to figure out if atoms will decay faster and that is it.

Or if, your body ages faster all together, but your mind is the same age.

Or, if your mind, body and atoms all slow down together?

Are other forces affected by gravity, for example, covalent bonds? Magnetism?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
But is there any experimental proof?

What is the connection between the rate atoms emit electrons, and the natural frequency molecules vibrate at, or how fast salt dissolves in water? Where does the conclusion come from?

The universality of the gravitational time dilation can be demonstrated on the following simple example.

Take a two-level quantum system in free space. The energies are [itex]E_i[/itex] and [itex]E_f[/itex]. The only time-dependent process in this case is the oscillation between the two levels with characteristic frequency [itex](E_i - E_f)/\hbar [/itex].

To get the energy levels ([itex]E_i', E_f'[/itex]) of the two-state system on the Earth surface we need to add the gravitational potential energy

[tex] E_i' = E_i - \frac{GME_i}{Rc^2} = E_i (1 - \frac{GM}{Rc^2}) [/tex]
[tex] E_f' = E_f - \frac{GME_f}{Rc^2} = E_f (1 - \frac{GM}{Rc^2}) [/tex]

where [itex]E_i/c^2[/itex] and [itex]E_f/c^2[/itex] are gravitational masses of the two states, M and R are the Earth's mass and radius.

This means that in the gravitational field the energy separation between the levels and oscillation frequency reduce by the universal factor of [itex] 1 - \frac{GM}{Rc^2} [/itex].

For more complex systems (like dissolution of salt in water) the argument is basically the same: All energy separations decrease by the universal factor [itex] 1 - \frac{GM}{R} [/itex], and rates of all processes (which are proportional to these energy separations) reduce by the same factor too.

I am skeptical.

meopemuk said:
reduce by the same factor too.

If you multiply two thing's by the same fraction, they will decreased by the same factor. The question is why is a universal factor assumed without experimental evidence?

I still assume that if I left Earth in a spaceship at .9C for a while, and came back, my one one thousand count would stay in sync with my Earth twin buddies one one thousand, and I would come back the same biologic maturity of my twin. If you carbon dated me, I would be much older. Is there proof of any change beyond that?

jreelawg said:
The question is why is a universal factor assumed without experimental evidence?

As I tried to explain, the universality of time dilation comes from the fact that gravitational energy depends on object's mass (or energy divided by c^2) and nothing else. The gravity force does not depend on the chemical composition or other factors. This is the subject of the well-known equivalence principle, and the validity of this principle has been checked by accurate experiments.

Moreover, there are direct experiments in which the action of gravity on two different clocks is compared. For example, people were comparing the rates of an atomic clock and a clock based on an optical cavity oscillator during long time intervals. As Earth spun and moved around the Sun, the gravitational potential in the laboratory changed; nevertheless, both clocks varied their rates in sync. This is the experimental evidence you are looking for.

Here are some references:

S. Bize et al, "Cold atom clocks, precision oscillators and fundamental tests", http://www.arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0310112

C. Braxmaier, H. Muller, O. Pradl, J. Mlynek, A. Peters, S. Schiller, "Tests of relativity using a cryogenic optical resonator", Phys. Rev. Lett. 88 (2002), 010401.

You can think of it this way - a clock sitting on the surface of the Earth is accelerating -The absolute equivalence of gravity and acceleration is the cornerstone of General Relativity - born out by many experiments

Components under gravital pressure are going to run slower than those not under such pressure, regardless of time dilation. I can easily display this by placing my hand on top of the hands of a clock while not doing so on an identical clock. The clock whose hands are being pressurized will run slower than the non-hampered clock. Whether its an atomic clock makes no matter, as gravity pulls on all compents that have mass whether its on the inside or out.

Run this experiment, have a long rod, place a watch on both ends of the rod. Place one end of the rod under extreme pressure, but not the other. See if the increased pressure causes the clocks to run at different rates. If time dilation occurs, when you move the rod after the clock's times run apart from each other, you should notice that the pressurized end stays at its old location longer than the part of the rod that wasn't pressurized (you should see that the pressurized side kind of blurrs when it moves, while the non-pressurized size doesn't as its in a quicker time area). In fact, if time dilation occurs, it may well be hard to move the rod at all until both ends of the rods catch up to each other in time.

At this time, regardless of experimental observations, I don't think anyone has equations that don't involve flaws within in that can prove anything in terms of time dilations. If the formulas aren't concrete, then neither can be the assumptions.

Last edited:

Related to Gravitational Effects on Atomic Clocks and Other Forces

1. What is the significance of gravitational effects on atomic clocks and other forces?

The effects of gravity on atomic clocks and other forces are significant because they can affect the accuracy of timekeeping and measurements. Gravity is one of the four fundamental forces of nature and its strength varies depending on the mass and distance of objects. This means that gravity can cause time dilation and other distortions that can impact the functioning of atomic clocks and other instruments.

2. How does gravity affect atomic clocks?

Gravity affects atomic clocks by slowing down time. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time moves slower in regions with stronger gravitational forces. This means that atomic clocks in lower gravitational fields, such as on Earth's surface, will tick at a slightly slower rate compared to those in higher gravitational fields, such as in space. This time dilation effect needs to be taken into account in order to maintain the accuracy of atomic clocks.

3. Can other forces besides gravity also affect atomic clocks?

Yes, there are other forces that can affect atomic clocks, such as electromagnetic forces. These forces can cause vibrations and disturbances that can impact the precision of atomic clocks. To counteract this, atomic clocks are typically shielded from external influences and are designed to be highly stable and resistant to outside forces.

4. How do scientists account for the effects of gravity on atomic clocks?

Scientists account for the effects of gravity on atomic clocks by using mathematical equations and precise measurements. They also use techniques such as gravitational redshift, which involves comparing the frequency of light emitted by an atomic clock at different heights in a gravitational field. By using these methods, scientists can accurately calibrate and adjust atomic clocks to account for gravitational effects.

5. Can the effects of gravity on atomic clocks be used for any practical applications?

Yes, the effects of gravity on atomic clocks have practical applications, particularly in the field of GPS technology. The GPS system relies on precise timekeeping to determine location, and the time dilation caused by the Earth's gravity needs to be taken into account for accurate measurements. Additionally, the study of gravity and its impact on atomic clocks can also provide valuable insights into the nature of spacetime and the behavior of matter in the universe.