Gravitational Energy Released from Sphere

In summary: The sphere has mass m and the shell has mass M-dr. The sphere has lost potential energy in falling in from infinity. This is GMm/r^2.
CedarPark

Homework Statement

"How much energy is released when a sphere of constant density (p) with mass (M) and radius (R) is put together gravitationally? What you should do is to think of the energy released when a shell is brought in from infinite distance (where potential energy of zero) to the current surface of radius r of the sphere. What is the gravitational force on a sphere as it moves inwards, what is the differential mass of the infinitesimally thin shell, what distance is it brought to, and hence what is the differential energy for bringing in the shell? Then, integrate the differential energy over radius to get total energy,

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty lost on the solution.

I have: F_g=GMm/r^2

Integrated from infinity to r (GMm/r^2)
This, however, gives potential, energy, which is 0.Any help would be appreciated, I'm very lost on where to even begin on the problem.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand the question?

CedarPark said:
This, however, gives potential, energy, which is 0.
Gravitational potential energy, by convention, is zero at infinity. On moving from infinity to radius r, it must have lost some and now be negative. Please post you working.

PeroK said:
Do you understand the question?
Not really;
I understand there is a relationship between work and the volume of an object. I'm struggling to visualize the problem though.

CedarPark said:
Not really;
I understand there is a relationship between work and the volume of an object. I'm struggling to visualize the problem though.
The scenario is that a sphere starts from nothing and gradually grows by accretion of matter that is falling in from very far away. To make life simpler, we consider one thin uniform shell falling in at a time. So suppose at some stage it has reached radius r. Assume some density for the accreted material, and that this does not change. Find the mass of the sphere so far, and hence the gravitational potential at its surface.
Now let a shell of radius r and thickness dr accrete. What is the mass of this shell? What GPE did it lose in falling in from infinity?

1. What is gravitational energy released from a sphere?

Gravitational energy released from a sphere refers to the energy that is released when a massive object, such as a sphere, moves closer or further away from another massive object due to the force of gravity.

2. How is gravitational energy released from a sphere calculated?

The gravitational energy released from a sphere is calculated using the formula E = GmM/r, where G is the gravitational constant, m and M are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the amount of gravitational energy released from a sphere?

The amount of gravitational energy released from a sphere is affected by the mass of the object, the distance between the objects, and the strength of the gravitational force between them.

4. Can gravitational energy released from a sphere be harnessed for practical use?

Yes, gravitational energy released from a sphere can be harnessed for practical use in the form of potential energy. For example, hydroelectric power plants use the gravitational energy of water falling from a higher elevation to generate electricity.

5. Is gravitational energy released from a sphere a renewable source of energy?

No, gravitational energy released from a sphere is not a renewable source of energy. It is a form of potential energy that is converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy, as the objects move closer or further away from each other. However, the force of gravity will always exist, so the potential for gravitational energy will always be present.