Solve Gravitational Field Problems: Earth Satellite

In summary: According to the equation, the satellite is approximately 3,000 kilometers above the Earth's surface.
F.B
I am stuck on these problems i really don't know how to do them.So can anyone please help me. Can you explain how to do these questions.

A 620 kg satellite above the Earth's surface experiences a gravitational field strength of 4.5 N/kg.

a) Knowing the gravitational field strength at Earth's surface abd Earth's radius, how far above the Earth's surface is the satellite? (Use ratio and proportion.

b) Determine the magnitude of the gravitational force on the satellite.

I know for b) i need a) but i don't seem to get the right answer for a.

for a this is wat i do.

gs=GMs/Rs^2
ge=GMe/Re^2

then i get g s/g e = Ms/Me x (Re/Rs)^2
But i don't get the right answer for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need (a) for (b).

For (a) you are given the acceleration due to gravity (the local g) and need to find the distance between Earth and the satelite.. just use the equation you have to find the distance..

F.B said:
for a this is wat i do.
gs=GMs/Rs^2
ge=GMe/Re^2
then i get g s/g e = Ms/Me x (Re/Rs)^2
But i don't get the right answer for it.
The g-value doesn't depend on the mass of the object experiencing the force. It varies due to the distance between the two masses only.

The gravitational force of attraction is given by,

[tex]F = \frac{GMm}{r^2}[/tex]

The gravitational field strength, as you put it, is given by,

[tex]g = \frac{F}{m} = \frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex]

Considering your problem,

[tex]g_s = \frac{GM_e}{r_s^2}[/tex]
[tex]g_e = \frac{GM_e}{r_e^2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{g_s}{g_e} = \frac{GM_e}{r_s^2} \div \frac{GM_e}{r_e^2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{g_s}{g_e} = \frac{r_e^2}{r_s^2}[/tex]

Use the above expression to get the height of the satellite above the Earth's surface, circa 3,000 km

Last edited:

FAQ: Solve Gravitational Field Problems: Earth Satellite

1. What is a gravitational field problem?

A gravitational field problem refers to a question or situation that involves calculating the effects of gravity on objects or systems. In the case of Earth satellites, it involves determining the gravitational force between the satellite and the Earth, as well as the resulting motion of the satellite.

2. How is the gravitational field strength of the Earth calculated?

The gravitational field strength of the Earth is calculated using the equation F = GmM/r^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m is the mass of the satellite, M is the mass of the Earth, and r is the distance between the satellite and the Earth's center of mass.

3. How does the distance of a satellite from the Earth affect its gravitational field?

The gravitational field strength decreases as the distance between the satellite and the Earth's center of mass increases. This means that the farther a satellite is from the Earth, the weaker the force of gravity acting on it will be.

4. What are the key factors that impact the motion of a satellite in Earth's gravitational field?

The key factors that impact the motion of a satellite in Earth's gravitational field include the satellite's mass, its distance from the Earth, and the initial velocity of the satellite. These factors determine the strength of the gravitational force and the resulting motion of the satellite.

5. How is the speed of a satellite in orbit around the Earth calculated?

The speed of a satellite in orbit around the Earth is calculated using the equation v = √(GM/r), where v is the speed of the satellite, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and r is the distance between the satellite and the Earth's center of mass. This equation is derived from the relationship between the centripetal force and the gravitational force acting on the satellite.

Back