Gravitational force from mass above you

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in solving a question about the gravitational attraction of a spherical water tank containing 5.0E6 kg of water and how to calculate the reduction in weight due to this attraction. The conversation also points out a mistake in using the gravitational constant G and suggests using a different variable name for the force involving gravity.
Mattyguy
I tried so much but I still can't figure out this question:

If you're standing on the ground 13 m directly below the center of a spherical water tank containing 5.0×106 kg of water, by what fraction is your weight reduced due to the gravitational attraction of the water?

Physics news on Phys.org

Mattyguy said:
I tried so much but I still can't figure out this question:

If you're standing on the ground 13 m directly below the center of a spherical water tank containing 5.0×106 kg of water, by what fraction is your weight reduced due to the gravitational attraction of the water?

You mean 5.0E6 kg?

F = gMm/r^2 = 2.90E5 m
G = gM(earth)m/R^2 = 1.44E12 m

The rest is piece of cake?

Last edited:

kasse said:
You mean 5.0E6 kg?

F = gMm/r^2 = 2.90E5 m
G = gM(earth)m/R^2 = 1.44E12 m

The rest is piece of cake?

On the right-hand sides of your equations you confused the gravitational constant G with g (acceleration due to gravity on the surface of Earth) here. You should have noticed that your final answers, of force per mass m, are ridiculously large (and have the wrong dimension).

Also, it's probably not a good idea to use G for the name of a force that involves gravity.

On the other hand, for calculating the ratio of two gravitational forces your first mistake doesn't matter.

1. How does the mass above me affect the gravitational force?

The gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses. This means that the more mass there is above you, the stronger the gravitational force will be.

2. Does the distance between the mass and myself affect the gravitational force?

Yes, the distance between the mass and yourself does affect the gravitational force. According to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, the force decreases as the distance between the two objects increases.

3. Can the gravitational force from a mass above me change over time?

Yes, the gravitational force can change over time. This is because as the mass above you moves, the distance between the two objects changes, thus affecting the gravitational force.

4. Does the shape or size of the mass above me have an impact on the gravitational force?

No, the shape or size of the mass above you does not have an impact on the gravitational force. The only factors that affect the force are the masses of the two objects and the distance between them.

5. Is the gravitational force from a mass above me the same as the gravitational force from a mass below me?

Yes, the gravitational force is the same regardless of whether the mass is above or below you. As long as the masses and distances are the same, the gravitational force will be the same.