1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Force of Three Identical Masses

1. Jun 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three identical very dense masses of 8000kg each are placed on the x axis. One mass is at x1 = -140cm , one is at the origin, and one is at x2 = 440cm . What is the magnitude of the net gravitational force Fgrav on the mass at the origin due to the other two masses?
    Take the gravitational constant to be G = 6.67×10−11N⋅m2/kg2 .

2. Relevant equations
    F=G(m1m2/r^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried everything, but Mastering Physics still gives me this message: Although the two masses not at the origin are identical, they are not the same distance from the origin, so there will be a nonzero net force on the mass at the origin. Am I adding the vectors wrong? I got 2.1*10^-3

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2014 #2

td21

Gold Member

i think it would be better if you show how you get this number. But I think you are on the right direction when you mention vector addition and the right formula you refer to.

4. Jun 30, 2014 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Force has dimension. As long as your answer is dimensionless it is going to be wrong.

Assuming the intended unit is Newton, it seems to be in the right ballpark. Did you round your results during computation? It would be much easier to judge if you had posted your work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted