Gravitational Force of Three Identical Masses Problem

In summary, the problem involves three identical masses placed on the x-axis and the task is to find the magnitude of the net gravitational force on the mass at the origin due to the other two masses. The equation to use is F=G(m1m2/r^2) and the gravitational constant is given as G = 6.67×10−11N⋅m2/kg2. After attempting different methods, the student received a message stating that the answer was incorrect and was unsure if they were adding the vectors correctly. The estimated answer of 2.1*10^-3N seems to be in the correct range, but the student was advised to show their work to get a more accurate assessment.
KWalker015

Homework Statement

Three identical very dense masses of 8000kg each are placed on the x axis. One mass is at x1 = -140cm , one is at the origin, and one is at x2 = 440cm . What is the magnitude of the net gravitational force Fgrav on the mass at the origin due to the other two masses?
Take the gravitational constant to be G = 6.67×10−11N⋅m2/kg2 .

Homework Equations

F=G(m1m2/r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried everything, but Mastering Physics still gives me this message: Although the two masses not at the origin are identical, they are not the same distance from the origin, so there will be a nonzero net force on the mass at the origin. Am I adding the vectors wrong? I got 2.1*10^-3

Physics news on Phys.org
i think it would be better if you show how you get this number. But I think you are on the right direction when you mention vector addition and the right formula you refer to.

Force has dimension. As long as your answer is dimensionless it is going to be wrong.

Assuming the intended unit is Newton, it seems to be in the right ballpark. Did you round your results during computation? It would be much easier to judge if you had posted your work.

1. What is the formula for calculating the gravitational force of three identical masses?

The formula for calculating the gravitational force of three identical masses is F = (Gm1m2) / d2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and d is the distance between them.

2. How does the distance between the three masses affect the gravitational force?

The gravitational force between the three identical masses is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the masses increases, the gravitational force decreases.

3. What is the significance of the gravitational constant in this problem?

The gravitational constant (G) is a fundamental constant in physics that determines the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. It is necessary to include this constant in the formula for calculating the gravitational force of three identical masses.

4. How does the mass of the three objects affect the gravitational force?

The greater the mass of the three objects, the stronger the gravitational force between them. This is because the gravitational force is directly proportional to the masses of the objects involved.

5. Is the gravitational force of three identical masses problem affected by the orientation of the masses?

No, the orientation of the masses does not affect the gravitational force in this problem. The gravitational force is a vector quantity and its direction is determined by the position of the masses, not their orientation.