Gravitational Force Problem - Help

In summary, the maximum gravitational force exerted on a moon by a planet is 11% greater than the minimum gravitational force. The ratio of the moon's maximum distance from the center of the planet to its minimum distance is 0.949, or 1.05 depending on how the radius is defined. The gravitational force is greatest at the minimum distance. The confusion in the problem lies in the ambiguity of the notation used for the radii.
SpacemanRich

Homework Statement

As a moon follows it's orbit around a planet, the maximum gravitational force exerted on the moon by the planet exceeds the minimum gravitational force by 11%. Find the ratio rmax / rmin, where rmax is the moon's maximum distance from the center of the planet and rmin is the minimum distance.

Homework Equations

Newton's law of Gravitation F = G m1m2 / r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the ratio to be, rmax / rmin = 0.949 to 3 significant digits.
My textbook says the ratio is 1.05. I think the text if wrong. Can someone try this problem and let me know what you get.
Thanks,
R.

Physics news on Phys.org
SpacemanRich said:

Homework Statement

As a moon follows it's orbit around a planet, the maximum gravitational force exerted on the moon by the planet exceeds the minimum gravitational force by 11%. Find the ratio rmax / rmin, where rmax is the moon's maximum distance from the center of the planet and rmin is the minimum distance.

Homework Equations

My textbook says the ratio is 1.05. I think the text if wrong. Can someone try this problem and let me know what you get.
Thanks,
R.
If rmax / rmin < 1, then rmax < rmin .

Does that make any sense?

Where is the gravitational force greater, at rmin or at rmax?

Likes SpacemanRich
SpacemanRich said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Thanks,
R.

At first I thought you were right, but there is an ambiguity in the notation. Is rmax the radius where the force is max, or is it the maximum radius? You get the two different answers depending on how you define the subscripts of the radius variable...

Likes SpacemanRich
Hint

[tex]F_{max} = \frac{Gm_1m_2}{r_{min}^2}[/tex]

Likes SpacemanRich
SammyS said:
If rmax / rmin < 1, then rmax < rmin .

Does that make any sense?

Where is the gravitational force greater, at rmin or at rmax?

The gravitational force is greatest at rmin.
The confusion was over whether rmin meant the point where the moon is closest to the planet, or if it meant the variable r of the Gravitational formula for Fmin. From the responses I got, I was not the only one confused by the wording of the problem.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
At first I thought you were right, but there is an ambiguity in the notation. Is rmax the radius where the force is max, or is it the maximum radius? You get the two different answers depending on how you define the subscripts of the radius variable...

I'm glad I was not the only one confused by the wording of the problem. The hint given by kreil clarified it, and the problem works out fine then. Thanks for your input.

kreil said:
Hint

[tex]F_{max} = \frac{Gm_1m_2}{r_{min}^2}[/tex]

That makes it perfectly clear what I was missing when reading the problem. Now the problem works as expected.

Thanks for opening my eyes..

Regards,
Rich

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is a natural phenomenon by which objects with mass are attracted towards each other. It is one of the four fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for the motion of celestial bodies.

2. How is gravitational force calculated?

The gravitational force between two objects is calculated using the formula F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect gravitational force?

The gravitational force between two objects depends on their masses and the distance between them. The greater the mass of the objects and the closer they are, the stronger the gravitational force.

4. How does gravitational force differ from other forces?

Gravitational force is unique because it acts on all objects with mass, regardless of their size or composition. It is also the only force that has an infinite range, meaning it can act between objects that are extremely far apart.

5. Can gravitational force be shielded or blocked?

No, gravitational force cannot be shielded or blocked. It is a fundamental force that cannot be canceled out or reduced in any way. However, its effects can be counteracted by other forces, such as the force of air resistance or the force of electromagnetism.