Gravitational potential and equilibrium of a thin ring

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the gravitational potential for a thin ring with a mass placed in the plane of the ring. The task is to find the potential for r < a and determine a stable or unstable equilibrium position by considering a small displacement from the equilibrium position. The conversation also mentions trying to use the law of cosines and the possibility of using Stokes' Theorem. Some clarifications are provided regarding the meaning of r and the desired potential.
DieCommie

Homework Statement

Consider a thin ring of radius a and mass M. A mass m is placed in the plane of the ring (not in the center!). Determine the gravitational potential for r < a. Find a position of equilibrium and determine whether it is stable or unstable. (Hint: Consider a small displacement from the equilibrium position and do an expansion.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the picture and tried to figure some sort of integral using law of cosines. I couldn't quite get any where with that though... I wonder if this is an application of Stokes' Theorem?

Any tips on which direction would be great!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Some clarifications seem to be in order: What is r? Does the question want the potential due to the ring alone?

I assume that r is the distance of an arbitrary point inside the ring to the center. Then a-r would be the distance from the arbitrary point to the ring. Yes, I think it wants potential due to the ring alone.

1. What is gravitational potential?

Gravitational potential is the amount of work required to move a unit mass from a reference point to a given point in a gravitational field.

2. How is gravitational potential calculated?

Gravitational potential can be calculated using the formula V = -GM/r, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object creating the gravitational field, and r is the distance from the object to the point where potential is being measured.

3. What is equilibrium in a thin ring?

Equilibrium in a thin ring refers to the state where the gravitational forces acting on each point of the ring are balanced, resulting in no net force and no change in the ring's position.

4. How is equilibrium achieved in a thin ring?

Equilibrium in a thin ring is achieved when the center of mass of the ring is aligned with the center of the gravitational field created by the ring.

5. What factors affect the gravitational potential and equilibrium of a thin ring?

The gravitational potential and equilibrium of a thin ring are affected by the mass of the ring, the distance from the center of the ring to the reference point, and the distance between the ring and the object creating the gravitational field.