1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational potential energy

1. Sep 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Why is the gravitational potential energy of a ball a distance r from the center of the Earth negative?
    2. Relevant equations
    [tex]
    U_\text{grav}(r) = - GMm/r
    [/tex]

(To me, this makes sense because gravity is an attractive force and bodies will want to minimize the distance between them if only gravity is acting.)

3. The attempt at a solution

The force of gravity is given by Newton's universal law, so I'm thinking the potential energy due to this force is the negative of the work done on the ball by gravity over a distance, or
    [tex]
    \Delta U = -W = - \int_{r_1}^{r_2} \; \mathbf{F} \cdot \mathbf{dr}
    [/tex]

since the force and the displacement are in the same direction,

[tex]
    \Delta U = -W = + \frac{GMm}{r}\vert^{r_2}_{r_1}
    [/tex]

if r1 is at infinity and r2 is equal to r,
    [tex]
    \Delta U = +\frac{GMm}{r}
    [/tex]

What did I do wrong?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First decide whether the force vector should be written as ##\mathbf{F} = + \frac{GMm}{r^2} \hat{\mathbf{r}}## or as ##\mathbf{F} = - \frac{GMm}{r^2} \hat{\mathbf{r}}##.

Then think about whether ##\hat{\mathbf{r}} \cdot \mathbf{dr} = dr## or ##\hat{\mathbf{r}} \cdot \mathbf{dr} =-dr##

4. Sep 1, 2015 #3
    Oh...minus sign! That makes since because the force of gravity is directed to the center of the Earth, in the -r^ direction. Thanks!

5. Sep 2, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I would have answered the stated question in a completely different way.
    The zero level in a potential field is, in general, arbitrary. For practical purposes, all that matters is the potential differences between points. The choice of where to set the zero is either up to the individual or a matter of convention.
    For gravitational potential, the convention is that it is zero at infinity. I leave you to complete the explanation from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted